Flintlock pistol question

deckerhead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Location
Kawartha Lakes
I am looking at a new(ish) reproduction pistol in 54cal bore.....my question is can I fire 50cal balls in it ? both my rifles are in 50cal and do not want to hunt down or make 54cal !
 
deckerhead:
No. I assume you are firing .490 balls out of your 50 cal rifles. For the 54 cal you would most likely use a .535 ball and a .010 patch. Your best bet is to track down what the manufacturer recommends.

What make and model is this pistol?

Kevin
 
Practically of it, the answer is NO. You would need a patch that would be .04" or more thick, that would be like 3 or more patches. Can it be done? Sure, but with out trying it, I am not sure what the reliability or the accuracy would be. Could go out to the war room and try it out but too lazy to pull balls out tonite.

Get yourself a .50 cal flinter or a new 50. cal barrel for it. You will be much happier than trying to fudge something. Good luck. Show us what you decide on......
 
Thanks.....I want a new 50cal flint pistol but hard to find ! This other one is available cheap ($150ish).....accuracy is not the issue....as they are bad shooters anyways. I just thought doubling up the patches would work especially with only 40gr of powder ?
 
So why are you assuming that the accuracy is poor?

I've got a really cheaply made Ardessa which started out shooting about like what it cost me. Which wasn't all that much. But a change to a different patch material turned it into a match grade shooter. With that magic combination of ball and patch it shoots easily as well as any of my cartridge handguns.

All of which is to say that you're better off searching out a nice .50 cal if that's what you want to stick with instead of trying to stuff a .54 with a .50 cal ball and too many patches.
 
Barrie is essentially the home of the CDN Muzzleloading Team, if you buy your flintlock or want to try the blackpowder discipline send me a PM.

Have you checked with Epps for balls?

Brian
 
Barrie is essentially the home of the CDN Muzzleloading Team, if you buy your flintlock or want to try the blackpowder discipline send me a PM.

Have you checked with Epps for balls?

Brian
Yes according to their website (that has not been updated in years) they claim to be in Barrie....not sure where they meet ? I used to do BP re-enactment stuff (civil war) back in the early 80's...then sold most of my stuff off over the years. Bought and sold some cowboy ball/cap revolver and still have a couple rifles (percussion and inline).....but as of late I have rekindled my love for BP with my newly acquired flinter ! The only BP pistol I have never owned is a flinter......so now I NEED one....lol. I'm entreated by this whole Buckskinner/Mountainmen thing...but its big in the US not here? Yes I would be interested on info about BP disciplines.
 
Back
Top Bottom