Flintlock Rifle Cleaning

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I'm curious to know what others are using to clean and maintain their flintlock rifles? I've seen lots of different products and really am overwhelmed by what is out there and what to use and what to avoid. Please help a new flintlock user.
Thanks!
 
Remove the barrel from the stock. I use hot water and Joy soap. After rinsing with warm water and patching out dry, I use Bore Tech bore cleaning solution. (Bore Tech also removes black powder fouling and lead fouling) It was developed for the US military to clean artillery bores. It is nearly impossible to find in Canada, I ordered mine from Bore Tech out of Tyler Texas. Then I patch out and leave the Bore Tech in for about 20 minutes between patches. I do this until there is no discoloration on my patches. Finally I wet a patch with WD40 and run it down the bore. This keeps moisture away from the steel. I store my muzzle loaders with the muzzle down so any liquid runs out and not back into the chamber. I get pretty anal about my black powder firearms and keepen em clean.

Cheers & TIghter Groups: Eaglesnester

"Did the Indians put U here?" "Twernt Mormans">
 
Last edited:
I take the barrel off the gun put the breech end in hot water pump it through with a patch/jag then run some patch's down the bore dry and oil pretty much the routine for anything black powder if I shoot I a lot I even take the stock off my martini henry and do this
 
Hot water, dish soap optional, followed by a wipe to dry then WD-40 to remove the last traces of moisture. Then oil the bore. Drop of gun oil on the pivot points of the lock and avoid getting any oil on the face of the frizzen or the flint.
 
Back
Top Bottom