Does the movie live up to the hype?
I watched it 2x...excellent movie
Does the movie live up to the hype?
Afraid you are incorrect there. The longrifle evolved from the European Jaeger. This makes sense since many of the early gunsmiths were immigrants of Germanic descent and training. There are original examples of longrifles dated as early as the 1760s and probably earlier. The Appalachian longrifles are a somewhat later sub group and have general charasteristics that distinguish them from those made in the area around Virginia, Pennsylvania and the Carolina Piedmont. That latter group are the rifles generally referred to as Pennsylvania or (incorrectly) Kentucky longrifles although there were, in reality, very distinct regional differences. The later rifles, those of the late flint and percussion periods or roughly post 1800, tend to be of slimmer construction than those of earlier manufacture - especially in the area of the butt.
I find it very odd that with such VERY small cast of important actors it was found necessary to use frawks instead of real flintlocks. In the movie 'The Patriot', every one of the numerous rifles used by the 'hero' and his two sons in the famous ambush scene was a real flinter - all were made by one of the moderators on www.muzzleloadingforum.com.
tac
As I recall, Mark Baker even taught Daniel Daye Lewis how to load on the run in Last of the Mohicans. I haven't seen this movie yet but, if you want to see what I consider to be the ultimate in disregard for historical accuracy, watch Book of Negroes. Could have been such a good movie. I really don't think they had airtight style wood stoves and percussion doubles during the American revolution. As I recall, there may have been a kerosene oil lamp or two in there too.
Afraid you are incorrect there. The longrifle evolved from the European Jaeger. This makes sense since many of the early gunsmiths were immigrants of Germanic descent and training. There are original examples of longrifles dated as early as the 1760s and probably earlier. The Appalachian longrifles are a somewhat later sub group and have general charasteristics that distinguish them from those made in the area around Virginia, Pennsylvania and the Carolina Piedmont. That latter group are the rifles generally referred to as Pennsylvania or (incorrectly) Kentucky longrifles although there were, in reality, very distinct regional differences. The later rifles, those of the late flint and percussion periods or roughly post 1800, tend to be of slimmer construction than those of earlier manufacture - especially in the area of the butt.
I used to wear a deerskin vest and it did not seem to matter a lot whether it was fur in or fur out. The fur was dense enough that it repelled a light rain when fur out. In the case of the movie, I think that I would have preferred hair in rather than untanned skin in, particularly because of the open wounds.
It must have been something to see the indian attack in real life (as long as it was a movie set) :>)
cheers mooncoon



























