Flintlocks rule!

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I shot the one I have in the EE as I couldn't wait for my Lefty Lyman to arrive. It was friggen cool. I found it to be pretty well instantaneous from pulling the trigger to the gun firing, no "hang time". I used 80gr of Goex FFFg and the same FFFg in the flash pan. A couple times it didn't go off due to the flint not sparking, and once the flash hole appeared to need a cleaning out as just the pan went off.
 
I have a ritual which I do when I shoot my flinters and 99 out of 100 times they go off. When a round is loaded: Prick your touch hole, don't use a ton of priming, wipe the face of the frizzen with your thumb, wipe the edge of the flint with your index finger and thumb (trying not to cut yourself) and tap the butt on the side with the flat of your hand gently to settle the priming powder. It seems to work for me:)
 
Last edited:
A freind here mentioned the old British military practice of the "sunset postion" for the priming charge. The relation of the small priming charge to the flash-hole is what is meant I think.

In referance to the Brown Bess maybe?
 
Yep, I jumped on the bandwagon as well.
I bought a flintlock to go with my percussion gun. I am just waiting on a new touch hole liner. It is a Pedersoli and has a caplock which can interchange with the flintlock, so I already spent yesterday afternoon "testing" it.
 
BakerRifleFullRight.jpg

Yes they do here s mine a RifleShoppe custom Baker 62cal
 
I have a ritual which I do when I shoot my flinters and 99 out of 100 times they go off. When a round is loaded: Prick your touch hole, don't use a ton of priming, wipe the face of the frizzen with your thumb, wipe the edge of the flint with your index finger and thumb (trying not to cut yourself) and tap the butt on the side with the flat of your hand gently to settle the priming powder. It seems to work for me:)

Ha! Thats what I do too. And many a time I've cut myself on a sharp flint wiping sideways as opposed to away from the edge. But it's worth it for the boom.

And yes, flintlocks are quite awesome.
 
Another idea on the flint wiping, if ya use windshield cleaner on your patches (like all great canucks should) use the patch that your about to load to wipe flint, frizzen, pan first. Cuts (pun intended) down on the lacerations and does an arguably better job.
 
Back
Top Bottom