FMJ and the range.

agite12

Regular
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Montréal
First of I have to say I'm a newbie (looking for my pal in the mail every day)

I have never been to a range before and I intend to do so as soon as I have the necessary papers to actually hold a gun.

anyway I was at Le Baron earlier today, and the guy basically told me that no range let you fire FMJ. I kind of doubt his infomation because it was mostly motivated by the want of selling me an expensive rifle firing expensive rounds... but it still put some doubt in my mind.

I was kind of looking for an SKS. I mean given that I'm a newbie and that practice make perfect 230$ for 1200 rounds of centerfire is pretty good...

Do your range let you fire surplus FMJ?
 
Don't forget, LeBaron also tells people Hollow-Points are Illegal.

The majority of ammo shot at a range is FMJ. 9mm-.40-.45-5.56-.308,etc are all FMJ.

Buy the SKS and a case of Surplus and have lots of fun shooting and making new friends.
 
They're full of it. Like you say, motivated by upselling you to an expensive rifle with expensive ammo! Buy an SKS and a crate of ammo & enjoy :ar15: Don't forget to clean well afterwards!
You'll have a ball! Just don't try use it at an indoor range as a previous poster said but outdoors you're good to go at a range for targets! FMJ is not suitable/legal for hunting if memory serves me correctly but that doesn't sound like your situation. My son has an SKS & loves it! You will too.
 
some of that 7.62x39 surplus has STEEL core- that DEPENDS ON THE RANGE- SOME ranges are 'LEAD ONLY" , and others are no lead- it ALL has to do with the baffeling or the backstops DOWNRANGE- best to ask the RANGE OFFICER or see the RANGE RULES- or there may be no limits at all- the YO-YOs at the COUNTER know NOTHING unless they're members, which is HIGHLY unlikely- what he's GIVING you is an UNEDUCATED GUESS- might as well go to the zoo and ask the apes
 
As noted above, it is not the FMJ that is the issue, it is the ones with a steel core.

If you saw the damge that they can cause to a backstop, you would understand . That plus sparks possibly causing a fire.
I was at one range a while ago that would not allow surplus FMJ in case it had a steel core.
 
I've always been curious about the "no steel core" clubs. I can understand this in indoor ranges that may use steel or concrete backstops/bullet catchers, but what sort of backstop is being damaged on a outdoor rifle range?
 
As mentioned above some restrictions apply at ranges where fire hazard risk is high, during some portions of extended dry periods.
 
Thanks you all.

I went to l'acadie today and the range officer personnaly confirmed that FMJ and even steel core are ok.

The vendor at Lebaron was indeed full of s....
 
Back
Top Bottom