FMJ Ball 8mm?

ArtyMan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hey,

Where can I find some 8mm FMJ ball rounds? All I can seem to find is soft point which dosnt feed very well in my K98. Any suggestions?

THanks
 
Surplus scraps are pretty much your only hope. Corrosive of course.
Expect to pay at least 50 cents a round.
Sometimes I wonder why my brother even bothers with his 98.
 
The last time there was any surplus 8mm in quantity joe Clarke was PM! It sold for $89.95 for 800 rds N/C..
 
Altough I dont reload (yet), a friend of mine is really into it, and REALLY good with his loads, so he said basically once I was done with the brass, give it to him and he will repress it for the cost of the materials. Another option would be to just buy 8mm brass, any source for this?
 
Even five years ago, 8x57 Milsurp ammo was in the category of: "move quick if you see it for sale". Some is still squirrelled away, but the price is no longer $0.25/round like when I last bought it.

Be careful if you buy ammo from someone else (and advertise it). It's not legal to manufacture and sell ammo without proper licensing - a rare example of an aspect of firearm licensing that makes some sense IMO.

You pretty much have to get into reloading to shoot anything other than 7.62x39. All other military chamberings have either had their surplus ammo stock exhausted, or supply is so spotty as to be effectively exhausted.
 
Its expensive when you first start when you buy everything but its worth it in the long run.8mm. mauser can do anything a 30-06 can do when reloading..Plus you can resize 30-06 brass to make 8mm brass..
 
Maybe its something Im going to have to look into, my 'stash' of .303 wont last too long either... Any good sources for supplies (brass, press etc...)
 
You can start reloading for just over $100 with a Lee Anniversary Kit or you can spend a few hundred more and get an RCBS Rockchucker Kit. Both will make fine ammo, the RCBS is just a bit more high end.
 
If you hit the gun shows you can still find the stuff. I came home from the Perth show in April with about 60 rounds of varied surplus 8mm. I shot her all in 1 day and didn't clean the rifle after and my barrel is still A.OK, no rust anywhere. So none of the stuff I picked was corrosive. I got a few boxes of stuff marked from Ecuador, the real CIA stuff, no head stamps on the rounds, it shot great.
 
Back
Top Bottom