For Grant R - Re: Snider mould....

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mr Rombaugh - did this ever come to fuition?


PommyB
Posts 4,615
Veteran of the Regiment
25 Mar 2012, 18:43 #20
OK, I contacted the mold maker. The process he uses to cut the cavities has some limitations, so he cannot duplicate the concaved lube groove but, apart from that, I think it looks pretty close.

Diameter with wheelweight lead would be .600" & the bullet would have a nominal weight of 480gns. The mold would be a 2-cavity, blocks are aluminum with a good heavy sprue plate, & are designed for use with RCBS or Lee 6-cavity mold handles. Taking into account all the folks who have expressed interest in DD's proposed mold, we should be able to place an order for at least 25 molds, so pricing would be $85 including postage within the U.S. I'm more than willing to accept orders from Canada & overseas, but would have to add a further $15 for postage.
I'll start a new thread, so we can compile a list of those who'd be interested in buying a mold.
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... /master/1/



Best

tac of two-Snider lack of fame
 
Tac

As you know, I'm not Grant.

I put this information here in case anyone else may be interested in PommyB molds.

I think below are the only two molds that are offered by PommyB (x-ring services,,,,,,Martyn Robinson on Facebook) as of today.

I was just in communication with PommyB last night.


Oct#27, 2015

Our Snider bullet molds also come in two designs. Both are solid base (ie not Minie Balls), .600" diameter, & are designed to be used in fire-formed .577 Snider cases made from 24g MagTech brass. When fire-formed in most British-made Sniders the cases will accept these .600" diameter bullets as a slip-fit which alleviates the need to resize the cases between reloads which greatly increases the lifespan of the brass.

The first design is a 530gn round nose & has been proven to be very accurate. I've used this one with great success in my four 3-band Sniders (both military & commercial variants) out to 150yds, but the accuracy seen so far gives no indication that it would deteriorate at further ranges. Typical 10-shot groups at 100yds is 4", fired prone with sling.

The second bullet design was the brain child of the late Colin Clarke, a very knowledgeable & experienced Snider shooter from Australia. This is a faithful copy of Colin's design, but increased to.600" diameter, it is similar to a semi-wadcutter design & weighs 440gns. Due to its shape it is better suited to shorter distances out to 100yds. This is a very popular bullet with Australian Snider-users, who gave it the name of the 'Bumblebee'.

Blocks will accept either Lee #90005 6-cavity (available on request), or RCBS handles. Price on either design is $85.00 plus $4.50 postage within the USA, or $15 for international.
Please feel free to contact me at: xringservices@yahoo.com
 
Last edited:
Many thanks for that info, Cigar Man. Much obliged. I don't have any 24g brass, but I DO have 100 Bertram Brass, and another 55 NDFS - all unfired. Here in UK I have to get rid of one of my guns in order to get one of my Sniders [any one, just calling it a Snider seems to be good] on my FAC, as my local authority thinks I have way too many guns already.

Best from East Anglia.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom