Found a vintage Model 1889 Marlin [pics]

Fultron

New member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
Hey guys,

I came across this rifle through a friend. It was a family gun passed down father to son for a couple generations before they got tired of it. Picked it up for $100 or so. Marlin Model 1889 Rifle, Serial number 427XX setting the year of manufacture at 1890. Chambered in .44-40. Legitimate cowboy gun.

Its very possible this rifle is beyond the point of repair as it has been the victim of some serious home gunsmithing. Barrel and magazine were chopped around the 1930's. In the 1940's the rear stock was broke and a new one was carved from a piece of spool wood and set into place with a protruding bolt that was filed off on one side but not the other.

Also, the extractor is toast, you have to roll the rifle to one side after racking it open.

Sadly, the rifling is in great shape, and the action is smooth as glass. I'm wondering if this is a rifle that should be hung on the wall and left alone though? I would at least like to have it functioning and I believe most of the collector value has long since been stripped.

Whats CGN's opinion?

100_0546.jpg


100_0555.jpg


100_0556.jpg


100_0558.jpg


100_0553.jpg


100_0560.jpg


100_0568.jpg
 
If it was mine I would get rid of the messed up screws, get a new butt stock and check if if functions ok, the 1889 has a problem when they get old the hammer may not hold when cocked and may pre fire :eek:.

Sounds like the gun may have a good history, write it down and have the family sign it and keep it with the gun the way it is.

You can always sell it the way it is to a collector:D. or a restoration.
 
If the rifling is good and it is mechanically sound, the gun is an excellent one to learn restocking on. It would not be difficult to restock and I would suspect you could get a piece of walnut from the local wood store for maybe $30 or around $10 per board foot.

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a couple of 1889's --- one was in similar condition to yours, with a home made buttstock:

HPIM0931.jpg


It had a good coating of rust, but has cleaned up nicely:

action_open.jpg


gunk_closeup.jpg


pic0131.jpg


Wisner's in Washington State makes several small parts (e.g., ejectors) for the 1889: h ttp://www.wisnersinc.com/

Precision Gun Works also makes reproduction buttstocks and crescent buttplates: h ttp://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d43.html

I've bought from both of these companies and can recommend them.
 
Back
Top Bottom