FOUND! - Louis Riel's lawyers guns...and other items.

That reminds me...

I did some testing a few years back using stainless steel wool (scouring pads). They took the rust off the barrels but because of the shape of the fibers would'nt hurt the bluing. The key was to do it dry though...no lubricant. The wool cuts your skin to hell so use gloves.

I might try this on the exterior but I stll need to make sure I get everything out of the hard to reach places. I do electroplating and electrolosys de-rusting of old 1920's motorcycle parts...I'm going to do some electrolosys testing on some old colt frames that I have and if all works well dunk the Judges guns. The electrolosys doesnt actually convert the rust, it creates tiny hydrogen bubbles within the rust particles and makes them fall off in the bath. It only removes the rust that has formed on the surface of the steel so it won't damage the bluing at all since bluing is a chemical conversion of the surface steel.


mr. sporty,
Do not use a lubricant- the rust will combine with the oil in the steel wool and make a real nice grinding compound.

Clean it with fine steel wool first.

Do not -
Just use ###xfine steel wool and WD 40 for cleaning the surface rust.
 
Here's a crazy thought.... Rust is a form of bluing.... In order to rust blue, you coat a firearm with a layer of rust then boil it to harden it. Would it be possible to boil the whole gun, harden the rusted surfaces and them card them off with oil (I use Burkes Gun Oil) and steel wool? I'd suspect that the finish would appear very even.....
 
Back
Top Bottom