Found this in an attic

Grouser

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Location
Fredericton, NB
At first glance, I thought this to be a Sharps but it isn't. It's a EG Lamson 50cal rimfire. 7 shot repeater, made in Windsor Vermont, US, Balls patent June 1863.
Apparently they were a Union Army contract gun bue were never used in the US Civil War because they were delivered late and only 1002 were actually made. One in new condition and unfired sold act auction recently for $7,500 US. This example has seen better times but is in working order and has rust flecks -- I have not remover any rust but since the pictures were taken, have given it a coat of oil. Wonder what its worth?
Sharps001.jpg

Sharps002.jpg

Sharps003.jpg

Sharps004.jpg

Sharps005.jpg
 
I would take some 0000 steel wool soaked in oil and remove that rust. A good soaking with oil and some of the bigger pieces of rust can be pushed off with a penny. Looks like it is in really good condition overall. I wish I was lucky enough to find something like that.
 
I wish I would find something like that.

What a great looking rifle....WOW!

Looks to be in splendid condition from what I can see here, just needing a good cleaning and maybe some parts here and there.


great rifle and FREE ...Perfect!


Is it cut for a socket bayonet?? is the bore rotten??

Just a beauty!!


Well done
 
atic

Thanks, I know that -- never take rust off an antique it coumd ruin the value if any! The only thing I have done is to oil it and soak the bore in preparation for cleaning -- after a couple of run thrus with #9, it looks very nice.
Cheers,

do not touch the finish in any way until you know what you have.
 
This is a .50 calibre --- but according to the American Museum, it was made in 56-50 Spencer.
Cheers, John

One thing I forgot to mention was, that the price I gave you was for the .50 cal (.56-52 Spencer). There were a few in .44 cal and these are very rare and will bring a much higher price. Check to see what caliber yours is.
 
This is a .50 calibre --- but according to the American Museum, it was made in 56-50 Spencer.
Cheers, John

The .56-52 was used because this was a repeater and this cartridge had a more positive means of crimping. The .56-50 was an earlier cartridge. There was a few changes in this cartridge in it's early development as they were trying to develop a standard for cartridges being used in all the military carbines.
 
I found one of these years ago. I found out some very interesting history about the patent etc. These were designed as an experimental rifle during the civil war as a cavalry carbine. Some we actually handed out to those smuggling slaves in the underground railway to Canada. Which is how some of them ended up here. I ended up selling mine for $5000US to the owner of Dixie Gun Works in the US. His name is Hunter Kirkland.

FYI, the ATF describes this as an antique item and you can drive it over the boarder to ship it if you decide to sell it without any permits or paperwork. PM me if you want some more information.
 
Grouser; I have 5 rounds of rf ammo that MAY fit that rifle. The have the D headstamp but I'm not positive just what they are......50 or 56-52 or ??. Would be nice to see if they would chamber.......but.......I'm a long way from NB.
 
Grouser; I have 5 rounds of rf ammo that MAY fit that rifle. The have the D headstamp but I'm not positive just what they are......50 or 56-52 or ??. Would be nice to see if they would chamber.......but.......I'm a long way from NB.

The "D" head stamp are Dominion Cartridge Company Ltd. who produce 56-56, 56-50, 56-52 and 56-46 up to 1927. The 56-52 cartridge have 2 grease grooves in the bullet. The 56-52 is a sight bottle neck cartridge also.
 
Back
Top Bottom