francotte martini

pmatuk

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Location
DC Northern BC
I was wondering if any one had any experience with the francotte martini that IMA is selling from their Nepal hoard .Was entertaining the idea of getting one to make a project rifle .
Cheers Peter
 
From what ive come to understand these are really the worst of the lot, the BMF "british militaria forums" have many posts on these and they generally seem to be a interesting, suitable for collecting but not much else Nepalese made arm.

I would love to strip one down myself just to see how they work, but if your looking for a shootable one the general consensus is stick with the British made martinis or even the gehendras "though some of the gehendras are said to be pretty poorly made in comparison to the Brit made martinis".
 
I have bought several of these and will buy more.

It is a crap shoot as to the condition, but most are very poor. Rotten woodwork with chunks missing, heavy pitting under the wood line, warped stocks, split butt stocks due to rust swelling of the stock bolt, missing buttplates, cross pins with dissolved the wood around them.

Not likely to be a shooter, the actions tend to show where headspace has been adjusted by peening the back of the action with an FBH.

HOWEVER, they are original and genuine. Well worth the price for the pleasure of working on a real antique without the worry of committing sacrilege.

I say go for it!
 
I have bought several of these and will buy more.

It is a crap shoot as to the condition, but most are very poor. Rotten woodwork with chunks missing, heavy pitting under the wood line, warped stocks, split butt stocks due to rust swelling of the stock bolt, missing buttplates, cross pins with dissolved the wood around them.

Not likely to be a shooter, the actions tend to show where headspace has been adjusted by peening the back of the action with an FBH.

HOWEVER, they are original and genuine. Well worth the price for the pleasure of working on a real antique without the worry of committing sacrilege.

I say go for it!

Hi
Was mostly concerned if all the lock parts were present as I couldn't get much of an answer either wy
 
They are unique, the parts are not interchangeable with anything. So custom parts all the way, that includes screws and some fitting if you get spares in your hands.. The one I had was complete but the trigger spring was toast
and it would not #### from 100 years of gunge.
 
Hi
Was mostly concerned if all the lock parts were present as I couldn't get much of an answer either wy

each one is different some parts may be missing since these were hand built spare parts are going to have to be hand fitted id just buy a british made martini(mk1,mk2,mk3,mk4) that way it will most likely be shootable
 
I ordered 2 and they arrived tore them down and gave them a quick cleaning .Really a nice design ,the whole assembly comes out in one piece like the small frame BSA martini.

I didn't take any pics of how they came ,the wood is scrap ,but the actions are complete with a few stripped screws,minor rust and will work nice for my intended project.
 
I ordered 2 and they arrived tore them down and gave them a quick cleaning .Really a nice design ,the whole assembly comes out in one piece like the small frame BSA martini.

I didn't take any pics of how they came ,the wood is scrap ,but the actions are complete with a few stripped screws,minor rust and will work nice for my intended project.

I hope that project means hanging them on the wall the Nepal francotte should be considered a wall hanger
 
got finished cleaning up the first receiver and checked it over all is good .We threaded a 375 ss barrel and head spaced for 38-55/375 win.Test fired it today with 3 factory 375 win 220 gr and tore it down is all the same as when we assembled it.
Should work for a lighter cartridge like a 32-20 or similar with no issues.

A lot is on the web about these ,but couldn't find any actual first hand info other than all the scary stuff that is always repeated with references to the 1903 springfield

Cheers Peter
 
I have acquired a number of guns from I.M.I. (A.K.A. Atlanta Cutlery). A couple of them were Francotts.
You get what you pay for when you order from them.
Some of the untouched guns are in horrible shape - the best ones get cleaned and sold for premium prices - you do get what you pay for.
The francott martini I pulled the barrel off will fit a small ring Mauser 98 thread.

The Ghendra Martini's were sometimes very crudely manfactured.
I did get a snider carbine that was probably made in Thailand - there is not an English proof mark on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom