


Years ago I bought an older collector's Gun Report magazines dating back to the 1960s.
I did not look at them until recently and was surprised to see many photos of Fred Wilkens who I bought the Model 1860 Colt Army from on June 24 2001 at the Gettysburg Civil War Show.
Apparently he was the president of the Antique Arms Club of Long Island for more than 20 years.

Long Island Show 1969.

Long Island Show February 1973.

Long Island Show February 1986.

March 1990 Gun Report--Allentown PA.

Allentown---1991.

Long Island Show February 1983.


September 1986 Long Island Show.

I was not expecting to purchase anything at the Gettysburg Show but when I met Fred and saw the Colt Army that he had for sale----I weakened. Compared to the prices that I had seen for lesser quality '60 Colts at the show it became clear that Fred 's price was more than reasonable.
I give him all of the cash that I had brought as well as giving him a cheque for the difference.
In October 2001 I received a letter from Fred saying that his bank was giving him a tough time cashing my Canadian cheque. He had to endure all kinds of penalties and other costs----on December 5 2001 I sent him a U.S. money order for $120.

In bringing the Colt across the 1000 Islands Bridge I had to pay $60 Cdn at Canadian customs.
The purchase of most pieces in a collection come with some kind of story----the story of this Colt is a bit different.
Frederick R. Wilkens, retired assistant principal, Smithfield, Va., on March 3, 2007. Wilkens was assistant principal at the middle school in Farmingdale, N.Y. He was an avid collector of Civil War memorabilia and was president of the Antique Arms Club of Long Island for more than 20 years. In 2006, Wilkens moved to Smithfield with his wife of 53 years. He also is survived by two children and five grandchildren.
BORN July 4, 1927
DIED March 3, 2007 at 79 years old.
SOURCE U.S. Social Security Death Index
When a fellow like Fred passes on his massive knowledge is gone---hopefully he passed some of it on to his son.
This Model 1860 Colt Army (manufactured in early 1863) was inspected by John Taylor---his cartouche is stamped on both the left and right grip.
Colt Model 1860 Cartouche Serial Number Ranges
Cartouche Inspector Serial Number Range
JT John Taylor 11654 - 143846
John Taylor's late style "JT" cartouche. The letters in the stamp he used earlier leaned to the left.

Before the start of the Gettysburg show I drove out to to the battlefield and wandered around Little Round Top as the mist was rising over the field below. I ended up purchasing the VHS version of Gettysburg (the film) at the Horse Soldier --a very well known Civil War shop in Gettysburg village.
All in all-- it was a trip that I won't forget.

Last edited:


















































