French Trade Musket ?

Loyer

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
Hello guys. I recently picked up a beat up old flintlock and don't have much info on it. I think maybe it is a French trade musket when I compare it to photos on google. The work-manship is kind of poor.

The name on the plate is mostly obscurred and the barrel just shows a "R".

Any ideas of what this is for certain ?





 
Last edited:
I may be mistaken but isn't that birds neck designed #### an english trait?

Nevermind, the plate looks to be french design, I'm just talking out of my arse obviously.

Best of luck in identification.
 
Last edited:
Could be English. The other characteristic and the thing making me think it is a trade musket is the design of the frizzen.
It has a 1mm thick hardened surface riveted onto the regular frizzen. Also the barrel is different....it starts off as octagonal, then morphs into a round barrel and then changes again with a "cannon mouth" type transition into a smaller round barrel .
Last feature is lubricating holes on the lock plate. A drop of oil in these two holes lubricates the two springs.
 
most of the relatively few french guns that I have seen, had the makers name (or armory name) relatively lightly engraved onto the lock plate as opposed to relatively deep stamped characters for the UK and other european countries. Also I have a british made North West company barrel (with a circle fox on the barrel) which is round between the wedding bands rather than 16 side which most other english trade guns used.
How about posting a full length photo of your gun

cheers mooncoon
 
The end of the wood stock on one side was broken away so I am in the process of making it more presentable. Also need to make a ramrod retention thing. Here is the gun:



 
I dunno, this gun just screams English style to me for several reasons, the ####, plate shape, stock design and even the design of the trigger guard embroidery. Any chance it's something like a Belgian copy or something?
 
Back
Top Bottom