French1866-74 carbine questions PICS ADDED

Rdcollector

Member
Rating - 95.1%
39   2   0
Location
Sask
I am considering a purchase

Does anyone have a source for info on the French 1866-74 carbine?(20 inch barrel) Specifically
1. Caliber- bullet diameter and parent brass that could be formed.

2.Years of manufacture and service.

3. Ball park values

Added pics way down
 
Last edited:
66/74 would have started off as an 1866, a Chassepot. They were a needle-gun using a consumable cartridge. You are NOT going to find any of those!

But it was converted in 1874, so it would have been converted to the Gras cartridge. Gras rifle was just a Chassepot action converted where necessary to a centre-fire.

The 8mm Lebel cartridge was based originally on Gras brass shortened about 9mm and necked. If you are willing to put up with short rounds, you can open up Lebel brass (available in bags from Trade-Ex), seat your .43 slugs 'way out and have a go like that.

Otherwise, you are looking at buying very expensive casings for about $3 a pop.

OR you can make them by opening-out .348 Winchester casings. You could need a lathe for part of this job, depending on your chamber. Rims can be given the correct (required) bevel with a lathe or with a cord-drill and a file and a huge amount of patience.

For some reason, I get the idea that you MIGHT be able to use 32-gauge shotgun brass for sizing down for the Gras casing. Magtech makes it in Brazil, Will Bilozir stocks it in Alberta. He is at most of the gun shows out West; his web address is bilozir dot net and after that I'm lost.

RCBS makes dies, of course, in their 55000 series. Trade-Ex MIGHT have them in stock. They have a LOT of weird stuff!

Bullets you will have to cast, although you might find someone who makes them. They are a .43" slug, over 300 grains. Lyman makes moulds but they are shockingly expensive, close to 100 bucks by the time you get the blocks and the handles. Last forever, though, if you are careful.

I am shooting a .43 Mauser and I'm using bullets cast from a LEE .459-405 Hollow-Base mould, which is about $30. They are 'WAY too fat but a friend made up a .446" sizer with a taper reamer, using a chunk of 7/8x14 threaded rod. Works fine. Same mould works great for a Martini-Henry, too!

"Text Book of Small Arms - 1909" gives the following for the Gras cartridge:
Length: 2.99 inches
Weight: 676 grains
Bullet: hard lead
Length: 1.063"
Diameter: .433"
Weight: 386 grains
Charge: 81.32 grains Black Powder

If you want Smokeless ammo, you can go as heavy as 30 grains of SR-4759 with a 380 - 400-grain bullet but NO HIGHER. This will duplicate original ballistics and pressures.

Also, your bullet diameter is close enough to a .44 revolver that for short-range loads you might think about using a .430 pistol slug. Moulds are cheap, Lee makes them and if they are soft enough (use pure lead) they might even upset if you back them up with FFFg or SR-4759, both of which are fast. For short-range ammo, try 50 grains of Black. Do NOT overload; these are NOT a strong action.

They were made from 1866 Chassepot carbines from 1874 until the supply ran out, then supplemented by fresh 1874s of new manufacture. In the French colonies, they could have been used as late as Viet-Nam. I saw a photo of one, taken in Algeria or Libya about 5 years ago, still being carried. I have NO idea where he got ammo!

Value: I have no idea. What's it worth to YOU? THAT is its value. Dollars aren't everything.

Hope this helps.
 
Heres a example of a chassepot-Gras conversion

Very sturdy rifle.

I like it very much, The ammunition for it makes martini henry rounds look affordable and easy to come by ha ha ha.

DSC01873.jpg
 
Could you post pictures, I could not find any pictures of your French 1866/74 carbine.
Lots of rifles pictures found but no carbine pictures.
 
66/74 would have started off as an 1866, a Chassepot. They were a needle-gun using a consumable cartridge. You are NOT going to find any of those!

But it was converted in 1874, so it would have been converted to the Gras cartridge. Gras rifle was just a Chassepot action converted where necessary to a centre-fire.

The 8mm Lebel cartridge was based originally on Gras brass shortened about 9mm and necked. If you are willing to put up with short rounds, you can open up Lebel brass (available in bags from Trade-Ex), seat your .43 slugs 'way out and have a go like that.

Otherwise, you are looking at buying very expensive casings for about $3 a pop.

OR you can make them by opening-out .348 Winchester casings. You could need a lathe for part of this job, depending on your chamber. Rims can be given the correct (required) bevel with a lathe or with a cord-drill and a file and a huge amount of patience.

For some reason, I get the idea that you MIGHT be able to use 32-gauge shotgun brass for sizing down for the Gras casing. Magtech makes it in Brazil, Will Bilozir stocks it in Alberta. He is at most of the gun shows out West; his web address is bilozir dot net and after that I'm lost.

RCBS makes dies, of course, in their 55000 series. Trade-Ex MIGHT have them in stock. They have a LOT of weird stuff!

Bullets you will have to cast, although you might find someone who makes them. They are a .43" slug, over 300 grains. Lyman makes moulds but they are shockingly expensive, close to 100 bucks by the time you get the blocks and the handles. Last forever, though, if you are careful.

I am shooting a .43 Mauser and I'm using bullets cast from a LEE .459-405 Hollow-Base mould, which is about $30. They are 'WAY too fat but a friend made up a .446" sizer with a taper reamer, using a chunk of 7/8x14 threaded rod. Works fine. Same mould works great for a Martini-Henry, too!

"Text Book of Small Arms - 1909" gives the following for the Gras cartridge:
Length: 2.99 inches
Weight: 676 grains
Bullet: hard lead
Length: 1.063"
Diameter: .433"
Weight: 386 grains
Charge: 81.32 grains Black Powder

If you want Smokeless ammo, you can go as heavy as 30 grains of SR-4759 with a 380 - 400-grain bullet but NO HIGHER. This will duplicate original ballistics and pressures.

Also, your bullet diameter is close enough to a .44 revolver that for short-range loads you might think about using a .430 pistol slug. Moulds are cheap, Lee makes them and if they are soft enough (use pure lead) they might even upset if you back them up with FFFg or SR-4759, both of which are fast. For short-range ammo, try 50 grains of Black. Do NOT overload; these are NOT a strong action.

They were made from 1866 Chassepot carbines from 1874 until the supply ran out, then supplemented by fresh 1874s of new manufacture. In the French colonies, they could have been used as late as Viet-Nam. I saw a photo of one, taken in Algeria or Libya about 5 years ago, still being carried. I have NO idea where he got ammo!

Value: I have no idea. What's it worth to YOU? THAT is its value. Dollars aren't everything.

Hope this helps.

ive found a number of needle guns a little more common then some think and no that mold will not great in the martini without paper patching a .467-470 mold should be used
 
Here some pics. The barrel is 20inches long. Notice the bayonet lugs its not shortened. I also have the cleaning rod. Too bad the rear sight is missing. I have the trigger.
82ED8720-95E8-4E36-85C7-4213B59C3097-9555-00000B01D8F6D121_zpsd2e1a407.jpg

C814C7EB-1F7F-41E9-8771-F9626AC519B9-9555-00000B01D216BF96_zps328f8c3e.jpg

FFFABE15-0542-421D-8461-4ED7556F21D2-9555-00000B01B88EC8ED_zps749da81b.jpg

31D83E84-CCB0-4D6A-8A05-019443A78773-9555-00000B01AFB62545_zps59ea7bfc.jpg

35B5E1D6-B930-403D-A11A-FBFBDCF6DB11-9555-00000B01A326E45E_zps2ca8393a.jpg

279C518C-CFE6-4757-9AEB-D038C805C36E-9555-00000B018B66C2EB_zps4269baa6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Gras rifles had a LOOOOOONG service life, I would not be suprised if some enemy forces might still be fielding some.

The Russians used a pile of them in ww1 before they produced moisins in quantity, Greeks used them to excellent effect against Turkik invaders and I still think they are the "official" rifle of the French air force though I cannot recall where I heard that ha ha ha.

Your carbine is more of a rarity then my standard rifle, take your time and bring her back, when I say shes a special arm I really mean it!


IMA has origional French slings like the one on my rifle for under 20 bucks, get one they will not be available in the years to come ;)
http://www.ima-usa.com/nation/frenc...t/french-leather-rifle-sling-ww1-ww2-era.html
 
Last edited:
My buddy really wants this carbine. Does anyone have an idea of a fair valuation for one of these.
Even a ball park range. (Ie snider carbine $350-$1500 depending on condition)
I don't want either of us to get hosed!
 
Do not take a cent lower then 500....Not a damn cent start your asking at 800-1200$

It is nearly more economical for you to keep it as a plinking or hunting rifle as your just not going to find this kind of quality in 90% of modern made arms.

Its a rare an very well built service arm that has another generation or 2 of service life left.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom