Ft Shenandoah - North-South Skirmish Association videos

Dosing

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Location
AB
A couple of videos one dedicated to the cannons/mortars and the other small arms. I thought they were interesting videos.


 
thanks for posting; I thought that the cannon one was particularly impressive. I wonder what the balls were made of that they shot out of the mortars. If they were solid lead or iron, they would have weighed 50 - 70 lbs at a guess. When I watched the person loading a mortar, the ball appeared to have weight but not as heavy as I would expect for its diameter

cheers mooncoon
 
The cannon stuff is pretty darn neat. Looked to me that the mortar balls were disintegrating on impact. Anyone else get that impression?

M
 
The cannon stuff is pretty darn neat. Looked to me that the mortar balls were disintegrating on impact. Anyone else get that impression?

M

I thought the mortar balls might just burrowing into the ground when they came down at that steep angle? Hard to tell from the video.
 
A lot of canon fodder is made from zink WW that boolit shooters don't want , it is cheap material & marginally lighter than lead. I haven't read of anybody using modern hollow (two piece, lead soldered together) molded iron balls but, while expensive, it could be done. DGW in Tennessee used to sell cannon ball molds up to 5" but I don't think they do anymore.

That is just sod being displaced by the mortar balls. some of the NSSA matches are held on soft soggy ground and I've read of the mortar balls embedding themselves 3 ft in the ground...a lot of digging to recover...
 
Thanks for posting. Looked like one of the cannons was using popcan rounds, you could see the key-holing on the target. The last time I saw cannons in action was at Heffley Creek, it was impressive to see when a ball knocks down trees.
 
Back
Top Bottom