Gallagher Relined

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Got my .54 ERMA-made Gallagher carbine back after a reline to .510. It shot OK with the .54 micro-groove type rifling, but I wanted to use a bullet-type projectile.
The historic Gallagher was barely able to hold minute-of-horse at 100 yds, so I was a little anxious about it's capabilities. I was pleasantly surprised ....

Off hand at 25 yds it printed a triangular three shot group on POA that measured 2-1/2". I fired another three shots at a second target and the group was even tighter!
Subsequent shots grouped well, but lower. I cleaned the bore and trudged through knee deep snow to post a target at 50 yds.
From a makeshift rest, it put five rds into a 5"V x 2"H group, 5" left of the POA. I attribute the vertical stringing to my forearm slipping on the rest. The left windage, I can't explain.

I expended the rest of my ammo on the 50 yd 10" x 12" gong, holding at three o'clock on the right edge - "Bang! Clang!", every time. Considering the technology, the crudity of the sights and the less than target trigger pull, I regard this as phenomenal.

Load was 40-42 grs FFFg which comes up to the ledge inside the brass cases. The 375 gr .512 RNFP sits on this ledge. I had no extraction issues and only one misfire when I failed to check the nipple vent. The next cap fired the cartridge.

Next time out I start at 50 and work out to 100 .... the Gallopin' Gallagher rides ag'in .....
 
Gallagher Pics?

Hi Grant

I'd have to learn how to post pics first. Somehow playing with archaic rifles doesn't quite match up with digital cameras and such.

After I got the Gallagher, I bought a copy of Peter Schiffers' "Civil War Carbines - Myth vs Reality" from 'Man At Arms' magazine. Schiffers tested 12 original CW carbines using ammunition assembled as true to original specs as possible; no expense spared regarding bullet moulds, cases, etc.

He shot at 55, 110 and 220 meters (he's German). The Gallagher ranked dead last due in large part to it's 1 x 72" twist. Not surprisingly, the carbines with the fastest twists did the best, notably the Sharps & Hankins (1 x 48") and the Burnside with a 'gain twist'.
Seems like the science of rifling twists was largely a mystery to American gun designers, unlike the exhaustive testing done by the Brits in the same era.
 
Back
Top Bottom