Gentleman's Cane

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
So far I have established that the serial number on the barrel and stock match and it is about a 55 cal. bore, 28 1/2" barrel and 45" overall
There are proof marks, but are quite filled with years of crud--working on them :) and appears to be English
Anyone shed some light on it's history? Poaching? Protection or both??

take care

jpc


IMG_6735.jpg
IMG_6734.jpg
IMG_6792.jpg


ps: still having my problems with the new photobucket :(
 
Last edited:
Typical Poacher's walking Cane gun, reminiscent of the type patented by John Day of Barnstaple, Devon, England, in 1823 and popular for some forty years.
Your's doesn't look exactly like most of the Day guns I have seen pictures of, particularly with regards to the trigger configuration but nevertheless is quite representative of the type.

Nice find. Am I the only one who thinks underhammers are neat?
 
I wonder if Originally it had a wooden sheath over the barrel?? She must have had at least a plug for the muzzle.

Also is she a screw barrel??

It is a very neat arm, Maybe the 1st underhammer Ive ever liked!
 
The only one I ever saw was a bit different in the trigger/ lock mechanism, but still pretty similar. It had a carved wooden tip/plug that fit in the end of the barrel. It functioned very well as a walking stick, and was very discreet to carry. Cool!
 
Waba...you're not alone, underhammers are neat. I'm to understand that a gentleman's cane was more of an accessory to one's status, that is to say that there was a time when the "cane or walking stick" wasn't used as we would suspect. It was carried as an accoutrement, so mud or the like would not have been an issue, the end never struck the street. Sword canes are in this Ilk as well. their purpose was self defence in an urban setting...or the ability to defend ones self.

Having said that, I've never seen one with a butt stock attachment and clearly this fine example was intended for more than a midnight equalizer. Methinks she's built to hunt with as well, so Poacher's cane it is! :)

JPC; you seem to find all the cool stuff, what's your secret?
 
Waba...you're not alone, underhammers are neat. I'm to understand that a gentleman's cane was more of an accessory to one's status, that is to say that there was a time when the "cane or walking stick" wasn't used as we would suspect. It was carried as an accoutrement, so mud or the like would not have been an issue, the end never struck the street. Sword canes are in this Ilk as well. their purpose was self defence in an urban setting...or the ability to defend ones self.

Having said that, I've never seen one with a butt stock attachment and clearly this fine example was intended for more than a midnight equalizer. Methinks she's built to hunt with as well, so Poacher's cane it is! :)

JPC; you seem to find all the cool stuff, what's your secret?


Thanks Plinker--I enjoy the hunt :):)
 
Last edited:
Hello

I cleaned out the proof stampings with my trusty brass do-it-all and a fellow CGN was able to help me with the findings.
"They are Birmingham view and definitive proof, it was used between 1813 and 1904"

take care

jpc
 
Back
Top Bottom