Getting into blackpowder

redbonefish

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was looking to get into blackpowder firearms. So looking at my local wholesale shop and found some bundles that might help me getting started:

Bundle #1:

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/store...rms/z5-workhorse-premium-pack/prod252568.html

Bundle #1:

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/store...k-open-muzzleloader-readi-pak/prod245501.html

So my question is what is the big difference between the two bundles other than price and the random nick-nacks they come with.

Thanks as I am clueless in this topic.
 
The real difference is the rifle. Whoever does Wholesale's web site needs to learn how to spell too.
Buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook & Loading Manual. Lots of info for beginners.
 
IMO, Thompson Center is a better bp gun and they have excellent customer service and warranty ie: parts replacement. Not to say they will break on you, but things like ram-rods, ball starters etc....
You get what you pay for.
I shoot a TC Encore 209x50 w/various centerifre barrels and a Hawken .54, Renegade .56SB and finally a Cherokee .45
TC makes a fine firearm and they are fine shooters from the experience I've had with them.
 
IMO, Thompson Center is a better bp gun and they have excellent customer service and warranty ie: parts replacement. Not to say they will break on you, but things like ram-rods, ball starters etc....
You get what you pay for.
I shoot a TC Encore 209x50 w/various centerifre barrels and a Hawken .54, Renegade .56SB and finally a Cherokee .45
TC makes a fine firearm and they are fine shooters from the experience I've had with them.

K thanks for the advice.
 
I have shot rested groups that have three shots touching at 100yds with my traditions. Seems to carry and shoot quite well. One thing to note is you will need other things other than the basic kit. One essential is a ramrod extension or a range rod, another is a powder measure.

I am sure the thompson is a good rifle as well, either way enjoy the boom and smoke, dont worry about fancy cleaners though, black cleans just fine with hot water.
 
Exactly what he said ^
Cleaning can be done with simple household items such as Windex for swabbing between shots. I however make my own slovents and lubes as I shoot real blackpowder more often. And att the end of a range day I use warm soapy (dish soap) water to thoroughly clean the barrel.
I too am sure as well that whichever model/brand name you decide you will enjoy it either way.
 
Depending on what you want to do with the gun I'd say start with the cheaper package and work up to better quality if and when you find you do a lot of shooting. For me your first gun has to be easy to clean so I would recommend a break open of some sort.
For hunting deer I just find I rarely shoot beyond 100 yards and either gun will more than do the job so pick the one you like best.
Any gun has to be tried with different charges and bullets until you find the combo that works best for your gun so be prepared to do some shooting until you get comfortable with it. I find I just don't shoot all that much now that I feel confident with my gun.
I have also gone to an inexpensive scope on my smoke pole as I just find I like it better but that's my preference.
Also try some of the powders that don't require as much cleaning such as Shockey Gold. For me I like it as it saves cleaning every time I use the gun.
If you have time I also suggest spending some time talking to someone at your local gun store about powders and bullets as they can be a wealth of info for a first time shooter.
Whatever gun you choose welcome to the world of smoke poles.
 
Back
Top Bottom