Getting started with Black Powder

OnAnySunday

New member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
GTA
Hi,

What sites do you recommend to buy black powder guns from? Never shot one and I want to get into shooting some.

Any starter kits available?

Thanks.
 
The Canadian Gunnutz Equipment Exchange is probably the biggest source for Black Powder stuff in the Universe.
You don't specify your location but try to find a local Black Powder Club or group and hang out with them for a while to see what you want to shoot.
 
Warning. It can be highly addictive. Besides just a .22 that's pretty much all I shoot. Inexpensive casting your own projectiles. Black powder being very scarce here percussion is the way to go, in any case I like the Enfield musket. For strictly hunting purposes I suppose the modern inline is best. For sure check the EE, there are a lot of variants for sale. As far as kits and all the supplies you will need Track Of The Wolf is the best and they ship to Canada. Buy the black powder handbook by Sam Fadala, required reading. I agree with Skinny1950 and try to find a group who will help. I you were near me I would be glad to. Good luck
 
What part of the Great White North do you reside in? I might be able to hook you up with some friendly locals to show you the ropes.
 
Im a couple hundred kms north west of Sudbury if your anywhere near there your welcome to come for a hike and do some shooting! "bring your fishing rod"

Aside from that some patience and our Black Powder EE is really a hard to beat resource, Some of the deals that appear there at times are astounding!

What kind of historic gun suits your fancy, civilian or military, flint lock, percussion, muzzleloading or obsolete bp cartridge?

Its a great hobby!

A really quick look at the EE and I found this antique double for 325 $ its hard to do better then that.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1027147-16-ga-percusion-sxs-shotgun-REDUCED

Another Quick look and I did find better!! A great old full sized flintlock for a AMAZING deal, flintlocks have a learning curve but once mastered they are great reliable shooters and a ton of fun!!
If I had a few extra bucks I would buy this in a second!

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1029692-Belgain-Flintlock-Circa-1950-s
 
Last edited:
Sam Fadala's book is the Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual. Runs around $30 and is worth every cent. Good read even if you don't care about BP. Still trying to get my head around loading by volume.
 
Back
Top Bottom