Goex Black Powder

maliboy67

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I have recently acquired some Goex powder, some of it is FFg clear shot and some is Cartridge granulation black powder. From what I can find on the internet the clear shot should be good to load the same as regular FFg black but how will the Cartridge work in a .50 rifle? Or should I not use it?
 
I used Clear Shot for years until Goex stopped making it. Sadly, I'm out of it now.

Last fall as a test I loaded my Navy Arms 12 ga SxS with Clear Shot at the start of the grouse season in September and didn't clean the bore until the season was over. At one point I left both barrels loaded (no caps) for a week and both shot perfectly.

Clean up was just running a few patches through the bores just as I would do with a smokeless powder shotgun.

I did hear some complaints about Clear Shot from guys who used it in rifles but it was perfect for my shotgun.
 
Goex Cartridge should work well enough in your rifle. In the .50 calibres I've been using Fg mostly though. Cartridge seems somewhere between FFg and Fg when you look at the granulation size. It's too bad they no longer make it as it works quite well in my .45-70's.

Chris.
 
I last used clear shot many years ago. I had a problem in my TC Hawken .50. I'm not sure how many shots I fired, but I at last had a FTF, and after snapping several caps I finally gave up and pulled the ball and dumped the charge. What I discovered was that a clay-like fouling had built up in the breach to the point where the flash hole was obstructed. I wasn't terribly impressed. I was going to use the remainder in my BPCR gun, but a quick search suggests that it isn't terribly friendly towards brass, with suggestions of ammonia in the residue.

I keep looking towards substitutes and yet I keep ending up back at black.
 
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will enjoy using the powder I have on hand. I have a feeling I will have another BP rifle soon.
 
I guess my rifle likes cartridge grade powder, I went to the indoor range today and with 120 grains of powder and a 250 grain bullet it put 4 shots in the 1 inch center. That is at only 21 yards and resting on my elbows but I'm impressed none the less. Now to try it at 100 yards when I can get outside.
 
Back
Top Bottom