Goex powder

nessy357

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
87   0   1
Location
vanc.isl.
I just returned from a Rondyvoos in Ravensdale Washington, was given a can of FFFg made by Goex and distributed by Jacks Powder Keg. If you check his website, jackspowderkeg.com, you'll see he sells powder for $255 USD, shipped ??, it says right on his label made by GOEX ?
Last price I got from the Goex dist. here was $19.25/lb in cans.

Cheers nessy.
 
goex prices..

The pricing differences on BP cross-border have been extreme for many years. 10-12 bucks per pound of goex is pretty much the standard in US. When you find a way to get it up here realistically (spelled reasonably) you will have smoke pole shooters lining up in your driveway.. but check the regs on storage limitations... therein lies a problem...
We will likely have to continue to pay our 20-25 bucks a pound if the bulk orders keep happening..
 
Track of the wolf is currently selling Goex for $14.43 USD.
When ordering from Jacks you must sign a release form stating that you will not resale it. My guess is to protect the other Goex distributors.

Cheers nessy
 
Note to self: must get more black powder...

562_Jack_s_powder.jpg
 
Note that the price from Jack's is $315 shipped for Goes powders, not his own branded powders. The bulk powder comes in one 25lb mylar bag.
 
The last I bought across the border....by the way it is legal both US and Canadian...was $12.50 per pound. Canadians are allowed to bring 8 Kg's per trip into Canada with the only restriction being that it has to be in one pound cans. I have stopped twice at the US Customs to ask and they told me both times that BP and BP rifles are exempt from any export regulation. I find Goex to be quite dirty except for their "cartridge" grade, which is cleaner. My supplier here charged me $31.00 plus taxes two years ago for one pound of Goex. I know...."Buy Canadian" but with our regs and all the shipping BS I don't.
 
Dantforth what you are saying about the one pound and what you can bring back is all true the real problem is in HOMELAND SECURITY ACT No one other that an American Citizen can be in possession of powder, bullets,scopes, primers, and numerous other little pieces for firearms.
This straight out of the mouth of the fella in USA Customs Coutts as of on June 10th 2009 as that is when I asked.
He informed the four of us We would be or could be escorted to the Canadian Border and asked to never return if found with so much as 1 22 short cartridge if the officer that stopped us wanted to pursue it that far.

Not trying to get your hackles up or pi** anyone off but that is what We were told.
Ken
 
Dantforth what you are saying about the one pound and what you can bring back is all true the real problem is in HOMELAND SECURITY ACT No one other that an American Citizen can be in possession of powder, bullets,scopes, primers, and numerous other little pieces for firearms.
This straight out of the mouth of the fella in USA Customs Coutts as of on June 10th 2009 as that is when I asked.
He informed the four of us We would be or could be escorted to the Canadian Border and asked to never return if found with so much as 1 22 short cartridge if the officer that stopped us wanted to pursue it that far.

Not trying to get your hackles up or pi** anyone off but that is what We were told.
Ken
Q&A # 15 on homeland security website answers that question.
http://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/2007edition/q_and_a.pdf

Cheers nessy
 
Well, thank-you "Nessy" for the information. What I had been told is in fact the way it is. The only fly in this ointment though is the uninformed oficer we might deal with on the US side. Black powder firearms are also much less expensive there. I have to wonder why collectors who are importing antiques are getting gouged? I am printing the info from the "Homeland Security" site so I will have it with me on my next trip. By the way is this HS info available on the Gunnutz site for all to see? Dave
 
There was a thread on this ,can't remember the poster ?
I 'm on my way to my 4th shoot in the US,this yr always carry, a copy of the H.S. page, and the ATF description of M/L's ,and Wash.State regs. invariably I'm asked if I'm carrying powder.Never had a problem.

Cheers nessy.
 
I am printing that off and taking it with me next trip.
The only thing that is lingering in the back of my mind is where i that section of the law that it applied or didn't apply to NON USA Citizens.
I have a faint glimmer of hope but only faint.

Ken.
 
ATF vs HS

I am still confused - the web link seems to be to an ATF site - not HS.
My understanding is that ATF and HS are different and in fact do not cooperate with each other.
HS are the people who seem to class Canada as the terrorist haven and therefore..........
As I am lead to believe, HS are the people who will go after you and raise hell, even for possession of unloaded brass cases, never mine black powder.
I will not take that chance -
Don't use your one phone call to tell me I was right!
 
The little bit I've interacted with ATF tells me that they don't make up laws, they enforce the ones passed by the gov't. At least they constantly refer to actual laws. I would think that HS does not make up their own laws either. They just enforce the ones that the gov't has put in place. That being the case, the website referred to earlier tells us what laws the gov't has put in place and what, therefore, ATF and HS have the legal authority to enforce.
 
It is not unreasonable to suspect that the two groups have separate sets of laws to enforce and do not necessarily coordinate these laws with each other. There is also the problem that individual officers, through lack of knowledge/understanding will enforce their own personal interpretation of the laws. Not sure if Nessy reported it on here. but a couple of years ago, an american customs agent was enforcing that US antique rifles had to be actually made pre 1898, which is not the law. She enventually, apparently got told she was wrong, but that did not stop hassles and inconvenience at the border.
As I read Nessy's posting, an alien "might" be able to posses black powder in small amounts if they can prove they are going to a sporting event/rendezvous but I strongly suspect that does not apply to someone bringing back several pounds of black powder, from a US source.
Bottom line is that it seems safer to me to avoid US rendezvous and travel and not have to worry about over enthustiastic enforcement of US laws not to mention having the same name as someone on the exclusion list.

cheers mooncoon
 
Just came back from a Rondy in Wash. my 5th this year, been doing that for a number of years now. I've never had a problem with rifles and pistols or powder, I always declare what I have, and encourage the officers to "fondle" my guns.
There was an officer in Port Angeles, who had had his own interpretattionof "antiques" and had gone as far as producing his own letter, I faxed a copy of it to their headquarters , and spoke with someone about it. A memo was sent to each Border crossing to eliminate that problem. The offending officer sought out my buddy the next time he crossed and made him aware it was OK to bring his M/L's.
I should point out also, my intention of this thread is about the difference in pricing of Goex, not cross border shopping, if you notice on the website you can only get it $10/lb if buy 25lb lots.
Cheers nessy.
 
The BATF told me it was fine to purchase ammo and reloading components this summer and the Gestapo [Homeland Security] said noway nohow..............PITA.........no point in going to the US ever again like I've done for the past 29 years for such things........I hope their economy reflects the loss of Canadian buisness............Harold
 
We are not talking about loaded ammunition and reloading components here. We started out talking about black powder and bringing it back from the USA. It is legal to bring 8 Kg's of black powder in one pound containers back into Canada from the USA on every trip you make.
 
Frustrating

No, there is no problem bringing back black powder (or other stuff) AT THE CANADIAN BORDER.
The problem is a Canadian (evil alien) being in possession of it IN THE USA.
If stopped IN THE USA, in all likelihood the SxxT may hit the fan.
I would not take the chance............!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom