Goex Vs Pyrodex in percussion

vinver

Regular
Rating - 100%
174   0   0
Location
Enfield, NS
I came across some Pyrodex RS Select Premium locally which I plan to use in my 577 Parker Hale Musketoon, could anybody like to educate me in the differences between Goex FFg and the Pyrodex?
I interpret by volume equivalent, I would use the same amount but it's not the same density or weight as the Goex. Any tips, differences for cleanup, handling, storage? Thoughts, ideas good or bad? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I have shot a lot of both over the years. Cleanup is much the same with the Pyrodex being a bit more corrosive than bp. A thorough cleanup has always worked to keep my guns healthy. Goex has a more pleasant smell. Volume equivalency is very close between the RS and 2F.
 
Original black powder is going to be more consistant from shot to shot. Clean up is about the same. I have a couple of BP rifles that after working up a load have an ES of 4-5 . I cannot get anywhere near that with the fake bp.
 
Several years ago in a Black Powder mag there was a good write up on how Pyrodex degrades quickly over time. The author used 4 cans of Pyro (RS), opened 1 can and fired for group and velocity every 3 months or opening a new can at that time. (Sorry, I'm going from memory here and trying to give you the results). At the end of the trials he found that the Pyro that had been opened for over a year, (but in a sealed can) degraded significantly in both accuracy AND velocity. The newest unopened can restored both accuracy AND velocity.
The reason I recall this was I had developed a very good load using Pyro RS one year but the following year that same load had opened up to about 3X as large PLUS I had several misfires. Black on the other hand has NEVER (for me) caused a misfire or hang fire, something I had LOTS of with OLDER Pyro. Groups with Black were always consistent. Now before anyone jumps all over me about Pyro let me say that I like it very much, just don't keep it for over a year. If you're going to use it, make sure you use the whole can within a year or less and before a hunt verify that your load in the fall performs the same as what you may have developed in the spring.
A friend shot, and hit, a 1" black square at 100 yds with a cap lock, open sights, Pyro RS. He also did the "splitting the ball on the axe breaking 2 clays" at 25 yds with Pyro, but it was a fresh can. For any that don't know what this is, an axe is hammered into the ground, facing the shooter. 2 shotgun clays are place on either side of the axe a few inches from the axe sides. You aim at the facing axe edge, fire and try to split the ball on the edge=splitting both clays. Not bad. Best of luck.
 
Some say it DOES degrade, and others vehemently deny it. Being of a sneaky, suspicious and deeply cynical nature - a legacy of 33 years as an intelligence officer for HM QE2 - I prefer to accept the evidence of my own experience and chronograph, and, using the same Ruger Old Army, and a random selection of .457 ball cast at the same time, I actually tried this out a couple of years back.

First, in 2013, I checked my 26gr load of Pyrodex P in a brand-new container, and got an average of 810 fps with forty shots.

I then did the same thing in 2015, at the same time of year, using the same batch of Pyrodex P [reduced over time, of course, by shooting], same ball batch, same caps, same load, same pistol.

The result was sobering.

Velocity had gone down drastically to an average of 748 fps for forty shots. Accuracy was almost non-existent.

Coincidence? Wishful thinking? A witch's curse?

I think not.

tac
 
Oddly enough, I've read that Black Powder actually remains the same even after almost a century. Mike Venturino, a writer and Black Powder shooter/competitor, has used some Black he got hold of that was close to a century old. He says it performed very well.
 
I have about 5 lbs of Curtis and Harvey bp That I use in my 45/70. It has not lost anything fps wise in the years I have been using it.
 
Some say it DOES degrade, and others vehemently deny it. Being of a sneaky, suspicious and deeply cynical nature - a legacy of 33 years as an intelligence officer for HM QE2 - I prefer to accept the evidence of my own experience and chronograph, and, using the same Ruger Old Army, and a random selection of .457 ball cast at the same time, I actually tried this out a couple of years back.

First, in 2013, I checked my 26gr load of Pyrodex P in a brand-new container, and got an average of 810 fps with forty shots.

I then did the same thing in 2015, at the same time of year, using the same batch of Pyrodex P [reduced over time, of course, by shooting], same ball batch, same caps, same load, same pistol.

The result was sobering.

Velocity had gone down drastically to an average of 748 fps for forty shots. Accuracy was almost non-existent.

Coincidence? Wishful thinking? A witch's curse?

I think not.

tac

Well, so much for the opened can of Pyrodex that I have in my closet, d'oh. I appreciate this, back to the black for me,
 
Well, so much for the opened can of Pyrodex that I have in my closet, d'oh. I appreciate this, back to the black for me,

I suggest that you use it quickly - say, within the year that's left. With our usual monthly guest days and the keenth with which guests shoot my ROA, I can easily get through a pound in a couple of months. I only found out about the short post-opening life by using a lot that had been already opened the previous year.

I'm loathe to even open the few jugs of Select and RS that I still have on the shelf, but black is hard to find here without a couple of hundred mile drive. And yes, this is England of which I write.

tac
 
All I can say is, for muzzleloaders, use real Black Powder, and stock up when the opportunity comes around. No ignition problems, no degradation, less corrosive, what's not to like - black powder is the real choice.
 
Back
Top Bottom