Good 8mm Hunting Ammo??

private_pile

Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
I have one of those really short mauser k98's. Excellent condition, bore looks unfired, but for some reason I can't shoot my hunting rounds.. I use Federal Power Shok 8mm 170 grains. They shoot really high and to the right. I can fix the left/right but the rear leaf is as low as it will go... Is there a straighter shooting bullet I can be buying? I like using milsurps when hunting and I know there must be a load I can buy that won't rise so much.

HELP!
 
If you like the ammo, you may just want to replace your front sight blade. I used a Swede M96 front sight blade in my K98 and it worked great. I think I got it for like $5 for something. I think several of the sponsors at the top of the page have parts for sale.

I had the same problem with some of my K98's and I either replace the sight blade as I mentioned or I reload my own ammo for them. You can designate the charge it gets and control how high or low it shoots.

As far as factory ammo, Sellier and Belliot 8mm seems to be the closest load wise to the ball ammo that the K98's were zeroed with in my experience. It is hard to find though.
 
I have an old Stey straight pull, and it shoots awesome groups with the winchester 170 gr 8mm ammo. It's so accurate with that load, that all I've done is stockpile about 10 boxes and I don't think handloading would improve on my groups one iota. Marstar sells it very reasonably. I tried the federal, and didn't get the same accuracy. See what different companies make soft point ammo (does Norma?), and try different brands to see what your rifle likes the best. Lots of luck!
 
Igman makes 198 grain semi-spitzer softpoint ammo that shoots well and gas a fair bit of oomph. It "should" shoot lower than the 170 grain stuff, but of course, no guarantees. Regards, Eagleye.
 
Back
Top Bottom