Good BP hobby gunsmith?

vega

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Location
BC Interior
Any of you talented guys on here willing to take a crack at fixing a couple of ML shotgun locks for me?

Mainly, I just need to have the hammers tightened up on the tumblers, shimmed or tig welded and re-cut or whatever magic can be done. Also, I think back in the days of yore a mis-matched tumbler was installed so if the aforesaid artisan happened to have one that fits better, that would be groovy too.

It's an antique that I bought on the EE as in excellent condition which, when it arrived, I found to be basically a wall hanger, but being stubborn I'd like to bring it back into shooting condition, without spending a a fortune.

Anyhow, if any of you guys have the savvy and are willing to take a run at it, could you PM me please? Thanks lots.
 
I don't want to do the work but for the hammer if you drill the square hole out and silver solder a steel donut back in you can recut the square hole to fit using a home made broach. The silver solder is the high temperature kind that melts at 1140 F and flows around 1300 F. The reason for the hole in the center of the bushing that you are soldering in, is that it retains the center of the square hole. You can make the broach from 3/8 drill rod and after hardening, draw to brown in colour. You drill a hole the dimension of the square shaft across the flats and will probably have to file some shallow notches in for the corners of the broach, using a needle file. You hammer the broach in a couple of teeth and a time from the inside of the hammer to the outside so that the hole is tapered with the smallest portion on the outside. Check for fit frequently.

cheers mooncoon

Broachb.jpg
 
Any of you talented guys on here willing to take a crack at fixing a couple of ML shotgun locks for me?

Mainly, I just need to have the hammers tightened up on the tumblers, shimmed or tig welded and re-cut or whatever magic can be done. Also, I think back in the days of yore a mis-matched tumbler was installed so if the aforesaid artisan happened to have one that fits better, that would be groovy too.

It's an antique that I bought on the EE as in excellent condition which, when it arrived, I found to be basically a wall hanger, but being stubborn I'd like to bring it back into shooting condition, without spending a a fortune.

Anyhow, if any of you guys have the savvy and are willing to take a run at it, could you PM me please? Thanks lots.


Lets see some pictures!

Maybe we can walk you through the process of doing the repairs yourself , If your of a mind to.

Cheers
 
Thanks a lot guys, but when they taught metal work I was off playing hooky. I'm ok with wood, but I stink with working steel, even have a helluva time soldering.

Not to worry though, had a very kind offer via PM, looks like I've found just the fellow to wring this out for me.

Sure do envy you guys though. I once worked with a Ferlach-trained gunsmith. I still can't believe some of the work I saw on his bench.

Even mooncoon's broach and directions leaves me shaking my head.
 
Back
Top Bottom