Good factory 45/70 ammo in Canada?

natesfitness

Regular
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Location
Petawawa
I'm looking for some factory rounds to shoot up for the brass, anyone have any suggestions for factory loads (other then the LeverEvolution which is none reloadable) and where to purchase online?
 
I don't remeber the sites, just a few threads I picked up through google. What I read was the 444 and 45/70 are the only out of LeverEvolution calibers to have the shorter case. I'd love to find out if this is try or not, I just picked up two boxes I just picked up at Epps and would love to reload the cases. 45/70 is hard to come-by in southern ontario.
 
If they are a little shorter, that doesn't make them non-reloadable. I have shortened 45-70 brass from 2.1" to 1.89" to make 45-60 brass, and have loaded it with my 45-70 dies, AND shot it out of my 45-70's, as well as my 45-60.

Alternativly, why not just buy 45-70 brass from Epps? I'm sure they've got some, and if not them, there are lots of other places to buy 45-70 brass. It comes up fairly often on the EE also.
 
I'm using a Lee Classic Loader, it only necksizes so the cases need to be fired from my rifle.

I havn't used the Lee Classic Loader, but new brass should be ok I think, to reload with this. It wouldn,t be oversize to the point that it wouldn't fit your chamber. For sure the leverevolution would be, even IF they are a wee bit shorter. Try a thread in the reloading forum, you should get more responses about this topic over there, does'nt seem to be much activity here.
 
I am just starting out reloading, and wanted to reload 45/70 for my Marlin 1895 using a Lee Classic loader (hammer wacking system ) also. I wanted to use my shells from the Leverevolution ammo I had already fired off, and the Hornady FTX bullets I had.

The hornady ballistic table says the case trim length is 2.040, and the fired brass I have is only 2.033.

Is 0.007 of an inch going to be a problem?? or is this why some people are saying its unloadable???

On a side note, I read that I should only be worrying about using fireformed brass for bottlenecked shells when using a Lee Loader. Not sure how true that is.
 
I am just starting out reloading, and wanted to reload 45/70 for my Marlin 1895 using a Lee Classic loader (hammer wacking system ) also. I wanted to use my shells from the Leverevolution ammo I had already fired off, and the Hornady FTX bullets I had.

The hornady ballistic table says the case trim length is 2.040, and the fired brass I have is only 2.033.

Is 0.007 of an inch going to be a problem?? or is this why some people are saying its unloadable???

On a side note, I read that I should only be worrying about using fireformed brass for bottlenecked shells when using a Lee Loader. Not sure how true that is.

If the stuff is 2.033 after its fired, then the brass IS a bit shorter that normal brass, but no, the .007 is not a problem, the brass will stretch after a while, which is normal, and when it gets to a point that its loo long, then you trim it back to the "trim too length". Do the whole batch at the same time, to keep everything consistant.
 
When I was shooting the .45-70 cartridge the factory loads I purchased were always Winchester.The cases were great for reloading.

Any decent firearms store should have them or be able to get them.They are available at most if not all gun shows.
 
In fact the Leverevolution brass is slightly shorter than the normal 45/70 brass(2.03in vs 2.1in avg). Its gets tricky when you have regular Hornady brass non leverrevolution as they both have the same headstamp. However, it is reloadable and shouldnt pose a problem. You can always load the bullet a bit long or outside the crimp groove and use a bit more crimp...
dB
 
In fact the Leverevolution brass is slightly shorter than the normal 45/70 brass(2.03in vs 2.1in avg). Its gets tricky when you have regular Hornady brass non leverrevolution as they both have the same headstamp. However, it is reloadable and shouldnt pose a problem. You can always load the bullet a bit long or outside the crimp groove and use a bit more crimp...
dB

Yea, I measured one today. That sure is odd, why on earth would they do that? But yes, it is reloadable, I would keep these shorter cases separate from the others though, for consistancy.
 
Ive been collecting Remington factory brass for mine, was orginally 325grain hollowpoints semi jacketed. Pricey though.
 
45/70 Lever Evolution brass is visably shorter than regular, did not bother to measure it just tossed it. With lighter loads would not be a problem but if you are stoking them up with reduced combustion area pressure will increase....Did not want to find out how much.....

Andy
 
45/70 Lever Evolution brass is visably shorter than regular, did not bother to measure it just tossed it. With lighter loads would not be a problem but if you are stoking them up with reduced combustion area pressure will increase....Did not want to find out how much.....

Andy

I was planning on using Varget with some 405grs and some big 500grs, will I run into any problems with pressure?
 
I was planning on using Varget with some 405grs and some big 500grs, will I run into any problems with pressure?

Depends on how hot you want to load them. The cases are not that much shorter that they would give you excessive pressure if your not pushing them hard. If you do want hot loads, get some new winchester, remington or starline brass, they will work in your lee classic loader, just resize them first like you would fired brass. You have to do this with any new brass anyway.
 
The cases are made shorter to keep OAL down so it will feed good in leverguns with the plastic tipped, pointed bullet. Winchester brass is thinner and has slightly more capacity then Rem., Varget may be on the slow burning side for what you are trying to do. Factory loads available really limit the effectiveness of the 45/70 on large game as most have soft jacketed bullets at lower speeds. Reloads using heavy cast bullets with wide flat points, and heavy charges of H-322 or H-335 make the 45/70 sing!
 
"...which is none reloadable..." Hornady thinks it is reloadable. They fairly recently started selling Leverevolution bullets.
"...Is 0.007 of an inch going to be a problem?..." Nope. The cartridge headspaces on the rim. 7 thou won't matter.
 
Back
Top Bottom