Got some tang sights (photos)

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Gentlemen, I'm 58 years old and with open iron sights I have seldom been able to shoot five-shot groups at 100 yards smaller than 2" for the past few years. It has been a reminder that the 'old grey mare just ain't what she used to be' or, in my case, the old stallion ain't what he used to be. I finally decided to get me some original tang sights to fit my original Winchester Model 1886 45-70 and my original Winchester Model 1873 44 WCF (44-40). A friend of mine put me in touch with an expert in old Winchester tang sights over in Main. I told him the Model of Winchesters and serial numbers so he could figure out which tang sights were originally used on these old classics. I wanted originals because both rifles are in original condition.

Well, this past week they finally arrived. What neat pieces of 1800's craftsmanship! The first one here is the earliest version of the Lyman #1 with fine knurling, the open bottom and a patent date of May 6/84. My '73 was received in the warehouse in 1889, so this sight would have been used on '73s at that time. Here is a photo of the little beauty mounted on my '73 and precisely centered for windage ....

73-tang-sight.jpg


Here is a photo of the other original tang sight on my '86. It is a Lyman #1a with locking stem and flip down aperture. When the bolt is levered back, the sight fits perfectly in the rear notch of the bolt.

86-tang-sight.jpg


Well, I got both tang sights mounted and precisely aligned in windage. The wife told me I had an hour till supper so I took off with my '86 to the range just before supper to get a quick few shots in to try 'er out. Wow! These tang sights make everything razor sharp .... rear sight notch, front blade and target. Even a half-blind, falling-down drunk with a serious case of the shakes could get tight groups at 100 yards with these things. I have to say that I am thrilled. Anyway, all I had loaded up were some 45-70 cartridges with 405 plain base bullets. I have other loads that are significantly more accurate, but I had no cartridges loaded up at the moment with those more accurate loads. Anyway, I got a five shot group of 2 & 3/4" at 100 yards without hardly even trying. I still had the rear sight on and I found it to be a bit of a distraction in centring the front bead, but I'll remove and archive that rear sight and load up some of my accurate loads and try it out later this week. Anyway, here's a shot of the target with my poor accuracy load. This tang sight should allow me to shoot one ragged hole if I have an accurate load. I'll be experimenting.

target-up.jpg


Boys, if you got a fine old lever gun and those open sights are starting to look like a bad blur to your old eyes, I would highly recommend a tang sight. It is almost cheating, they sharpen things up so nicely! You can take your scope and give it a heave. With these tang sights, I figure I'm good for a lot further than 200 yards once I get my loads fine tuned for accuracy. The originals are dadgummed expensive. I'll be eating dried crusts and water for the next while. You can get modern reproductions of these from Lyman and Marbles for a fraction the price. I just wanted originals on my two old guns.
 
I'm a huge fan of them as well. I don't have any vintage levers, but I put peep sights on my Marlin .22 and won a rimfire fun shoot with it.

The thing was, there was a penalty applied to people using scopes and I cleaned house easily being able to knock golf balls off a pole at 50 yards off hand with the peep sights.

My only gripe with tang sights is they can get in the way of quickly operating the lever on some guns. How did you find the fast handling?
 
MauserMike, I think that shooting offhand really helps to level the playing field between scopes and tang sights for sure. Hitting golf balls at 50 yards is good shooting! Regarding fast handling, I have not shot enough yet to have much experience at it yet. I can see that when levering, a fellow's thumb might hit the tang sight when it comes back up, but on the other hand, I think I would just hold my thumb a bit further back. The '73 has a lot more room behind the tang sight than the '86 does, so it might be a bit more of a problem on the '86. Still, I don't think it will be a problem from the little bit I've used the 86 thus far.
 
I feel shame now...
I mounted a Tang on a '94 rifle in 38-55...which hasn't hardly seen light since , LOL.
Still I'd not take as nice of pic's as you do, you have a good eye for pictures.
Nice rifle
 
Thanks, Tokguy. I'll look forward to seeing a report sometime on how your 38-55 shoots with that sight.
 
Glad to see those sights worked out so well for you Kirk. They work really well and make a great aesthetic addition to the old lever guns.
Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom