Got the Ballard Kentucky (Ball & Williams) What to ask?

shelby78

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.3%
148   1   0
Location
Woodstock, NB
So now that i have it what should i ask for it to sell? Bore has some pitting but is shinny and good rifling. The rear stock is damaged as you can see in the pics. Everything appers to work as it should and it is complete as far as i can tell. Pricing on the net seems hit or miss. I could just list it for dumb money and go down but it would be easier to list it realistically and have a fast sale and or trade. Thanks for any help.


I need to redo pics as my stupid cellphone cam switched them..


IMG_0621_zps50f1b65b.jpg



IMG_0645_zpsd71f1562.jpg


IMG_0633_zps92354873.jpg


IMG_0627_zps83e1b985.jpg


IMG_0628_zpsdbe121db.jpg


IMG_0634_zpsb8fab4a1.jpg
 
Last edited:
What is it chambered in? Best guess looks like something around .32, but I'm just guessing. The chambering will affect the price for sure. What is the barrel length, around 32"? Looks really nice, I love those old Ballards, and yours is a rather different version.
 
What is it chambered in? Best guess looks like something around .32, but I'm just guessing. The chambering will affect the price for sure. What is the barrel length, around 32"? Looks really nice, I love those old Ballards, and yours is a rather different version.

Gun is in .44 rim and a 30 inch tube. Hope this nails it down a bit.
 
Did a google, found one that sold at auction in the US for over $900.
That probably doesn't help for value here.
That one was listed as .46RF.

I have a Merrimack Arms sporting Ballard made 1867 in .46RF. It is one of the dual ignition system Ballards; rimfire or percussion, using a cap, plus a case with a tiny hole piercing the base. Fired it this way.
 
Are you sure that it is a .44 caliber? It looks very much like the Military version that was supplied to the state of Kentucky during the Civil War. If so, the caliber would be .46 rimfire and it should have Kentucky stamped on the top of the frame. Try a 44 caliber bullet to see if it enters the bore freely.
 
This is stamped Kentucky. I measure the bore with my calipers and thats why i thought it was .44 rim. After some google i found the .46 long rim used a .454 bullet so it may be .46 rim. I can't finger push a cast (factory bought) or brass jacketed .45 acp bullet only into the muzzle. That may give you a idea of what the rifling condition is like :) I have seen one listed for $2700 (twin to mine), seen them sell for $1400 (not as desireable shorter wood), and seen starting bids listed at $400.

I've noticed a trend for guys to complain about ee listing's so with values all over the map i figured i would ask. I'll just list it higher as i can always come down :) Thanks for the help guys.
 
Back
Top Bottom