Grease patches? BP

JTF#

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.6%
224   1   0
Location
Ontario
i keep seeing oiled patches and hearing about greaseing a patch. do you have to do this? can you just shoot with a dry patch?
i am shooting the .75 smoothbore matchlock.
 
I always like to use bore butter or wonder lube ect.

It helps with cleaning, keeps the fouling from binding to the bore and also will season the metal over time like a cast iron skillet.

I highly recommend using greased patches when shooting. You don't have to but it's just better.
 
Whatever you do just don't use a petroleum based oil/grease/lube as it will harden the BP fouling.
 
I wont use oil for now. I am going out tomorrow so I will just use dry patches but next time before I go out I will be sure to get some proper oil.
 
I lube my patches for convenience with a 90-10 mix of lard and beeswax. I have shot with spit patches and they work great for keeping the fouling down. You just don't want to leave a soggy patch in your barrel unless you intend to shoot it out right away. Damp but not dripping is the best.
 
I'm slowly getting into muzzleloading and on patches I will be using Paul Matthews formula with a bit more neatsfoot oil in it.

I have all components and I'm familiar with it so why not?
 
If your in a pinch just raid the kitchen.
Crisco
Lard
Bacon fat drippings

Have all been used historically with decent result.

Mink oil if you have it for protecting leather.
 
Back
Top Bottom