Gun shop blues

Easyrider

Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, nutz. The Bride and I are on the way to SoCal for our annual winter renewal ritual. We pulled into Fort Collins, Colorado for the night. We've stayed here before, and the last time, I found a cool little Mom+Pop gun store when out for a walk, so I went back tonight. What an excellent place! open till 8 pm, all sorts of handguns for rent, to shoot in their indoor range. And what cool guns in stock! They had a Shiloh Sharps 1876, 45/70, all sorts of new Winchester '92, 94, 86 repro's, Uberti revolvers of every shape and size, totally awesome shotguns!!! And 2 brand new Browning 78 single shots, one 22-250, one 25-06. I didn't know they were making them again. They were gorgeous! The Sharpes was outstanding! Sadly, no interesting muzzleloaders. Oh well...Man, I wish there was a place like that in Manitoba! Oh, and of course lots and lots of handguns, and assault rifles. There was a pallet, honest, a pallet load of AR 15's. Selling like hotcakes cause they're afraid they're gonna get banned. And customers...it was like they were giving away free beer! Sold 2 glocks just while I was there, one to a woman. Different world...
 
That may be true in the shooting community, antique guy, but to the rest of the world it definitely is not! Splitting hairs about terminology is not going to change anybody's mind. And sorry, I certainly didn't intend to open this particular can of worms. I don't have any interest in or knowledge of "assault" rifles, no offense intended...
 
Interesting the way the small shops have the best atmosphere for chatting about guns. The part that amazed me at the time was the low price of ammo.
It also amazed me the store next to it was a liquor store selling 26 oz bottles of vodka for 5 bucks. Wow just realized it was 1992 since I've been down there. Time flies.
 
I'm glad you had a good time. Did you get into the range? Got any pictures of you shooting the old irons? Perhaps post some when you get back?

That may be true in the shooting community, antique guy, but to the rest of the world it definitely is not! Splitting hairs about terminology is not going to change anybody's mind. And sorry, I certainly didn't intend to open this particular can of worms. I don't have any interest in or knowledge of "assault" rifles, no offense intended...

Actually it's not splitting hairs, an assault rifle and semi automatic carbine are two different rifles. It's kind of like calling a front stuffer a bolt action, they work on two different actions and are two different rifles. An assault rifle has a fire selection from semi auto, to three round burst, to full auto, and by definition must have at least semi and full auto selection. Otherwise without that fire selection it's just a semi automatic carbine that looks scary. If you want to fire a true assault rifle pull into the Gun Store in Vegas on the way back, they'll get you behind a M-16 with the fun switch ;). I'm sure you'll find plenty of other ranges along the way that could get you behind some truly fun firearms of all ages.

Just be glad you made this mistake here and not the black rifle section :cool:. It's not getting the flame war attention here it would in the Black rifle forum. Lesson learned I'm sure and get behind a AR-15 one day, they're lots of fun :D.

Have a safe trip and report back when you get in. I look forward to hopefully seeing some range and trip photo's. *cough* Get into the Gun Store *cough* :wave:.
 
Actually it's not splitting hairs, an assault rifle and semi automatic carbine are two different rifles. It's kind of like calling a front stuffer a bolt action, they work on two different actions and are two different rifles.

The 65k+ nutters get it. To the rest of the sheep, they are all guilty but association. Profiling really. It's human nature to fear and condemn what they don't understand. Combine that with media driven fear mongering, we have an uphill battle gentlemen.
 
An "assault rifle" is a rifle used to assault someone - period. It has nothing to do with mag capacity, pistol grip stocks or barrel shrouds.

I watched a video clip of a female Congressperson who was endorsing the new terminology to define "assault rifle", one of which was a "barrel shroud". When pressed by the interviewer, she admitted she didn't know what a "barrel shroud" was or it's function, and why it should make the list of criteria.

Part of the clip showed a stock Ruger 10/22 fitted out with a hunting scope compared to another fitted with an after-market folding stock with pistol grip, hologram sight and barrel shroud. By definition, it was now an "assault rifle". The AR-15 lookalikes in .22 LR certainly would fall into that category, like the AR-180(?) that looks like an AK-47 externally.

The hi-cap mag brouhaha is a straw man argument, as anyone knows who has participated in IPSC/IDPA knows. And everyone knows about the oh-so-cool taping of rifle mags together for a quick change as per the movies. Stupid in the real world as it risks damage to the mag lips and foreign matter entry.
 
Back
Top Bottom