gunsmith for inspection

bobdbldr

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
I am in the process of buying an antique handgun .44 S&W. Most places recommend an inspection of the gun before shooting. I think thats a good idea, who and where can I find someone qualified to do this inspection? I live in Halifax but travel to Ontario a lot so either area would be ok, or I could mail it also.
Cheers Bob
 
Most things you can check for yourself to be honest.

If the gun is not pitted/corroded badly, its mechanically tight - not much cylinder back and forth play, indexes/times correctly solid latches ect. ect. It's most likely good to go with light loads.

You can look closely for any hairline fractures in the cylinder walls ect. To get a true look at the structural integrity of the metal, you need to get the gun x-ray'd.

I personally just inspect guns myself and then bang away "safely".

It's ultimately your choice, I think most gun smiths can help you out in that regard, shouldn't be hard to find someone.
 
If you feel the need to ask the question then it's probably best to get it to a gunsmith. Generally I'd suggest one you already know well so you don't get sold up the creek with things he'd like to try on the gun :p . Also worth noting that many people are overly cautious and think that any antique regardless of condition is not shootable, so you may be told your gun is a writeoff because it isn't brand new. I can't really suggest anyone in your area off the top of my head, but once you get more familiar with antiques in general and your specific guns then you'll get a better idea of what is acceptable and what isn't, and how to determine it.
 
Back
Top Bottom