Hair trigger on cap and ball revolver.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I broke another hand spring in my 1851 Uberti,this is the third one that I have had to fix... they break off right at the crimp on the hand. While I was fitting the new hand and trying the action I noticed the trigger would not stay at full #### unless the trigger/bolt spring was tightened down. I have noticed the trigger pull getting lighter over time and now it is very sensitive,several times I have discharged the gun inadvertently before sighting it on the target. I am thinking I might have to do a reverse trigger job ie. make the trigger pull heavier in order to make the gun safe.
Has anyone else run into this problem with a revolver?? If so what was the fix??
Thanks
 
The trigger/sear is probably wearing down. You would need to build up these surfaces and refinish or buy and fit new parts. It's usually a gunsmith job.
 
Check the sear portion of the trigger and the full #### notch and see if one or both are worn. You can probably slightly sharpen the point or file the notch a bit deeper but it also means that you will have to recase them with Kasenite. Italian guns are made of mild steel and the parts then case hardened.

You can grind a new hand spring from a hacksaw blade with a grinder or a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. Try soft soldering it to one of your hands that is missing a spring

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom