Half-mag Winchester 1894 - Comments and Opinions

Bittermansbro

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
Calgary, AB
I have picked up a Model 1894 made in 1898 from the local shop, its a bit different in that its got a half mag and may possibly be a lightweight rifle. Its got a straight grip crescent butt and a rifle fore-end. Barrel is round and when the front sight dovetail is measured from the muzzle, it comes out at factory specs (although this doesn't mean there aren't smrt folks out there who can do this, it just looks too old generally to have been done by someone lately).

Anyhow, I haven't seen this kind of config before, so was wondering if some of our learn-ed Winchester friends could chime in about their thoughts or comments on what could possibly be a lightweight model.

Sorry about the crappy pics, it was from my phone and its been dropped a couple times. :p

94half1.jpg


94half2.jpg
 
Could be a rifle with a special option of a button magazine. I received a similar configuration, but with an SRC.

What is the barrel length? Are you able to access Winchester factory records to find out what the original configuration was, which may help authenticate this rifle? If not, PM me the serial number and I will see about getting that information - should not take more than 24 hours.
 
With a flat end cap on the tube it is not considered a "Button Mag".
This is a tough one to call.
I had a half mag 94 years ago...ti was a full length 24" barrel 30-30 with no cut for the upper magazine band...so it was a true half mag gun...also had a flat capon the tube.
 
Yea good point Alonzo, usually the button mag is a little half-rounded do-hickey instead of the flat front.....

The barrel is somewhat tapered, although not 'pencil thin' like an extra-lightweight. The crown looks original as well, which is why I have had such a time of this.

The story on this rifle is that when it came in it was unresgistered, had sat in the gun rack in grandpas house for the last bazilion years hadn't been shot in recent memory etc etc. You know what they say about stories.....take 'em for what they are worth.

If the rifle was mucked with then someone did a darn fine job of making sure things like the front sight placement were factory, the crown was cut properlly etc.
 
I should have re-read my post more carefully...."I had a half mag 94 years ago..." No not 94 years ago as in the year 1916....I am not THAT old.
I have seen a few "half-mag" Winchesters which still had the upper magazine band cut-out on the barrel. Not the real thing.
As you mention the barrel has a taper...this is a GOOD thing, it appears you got a real Half mag rifle there, good looking gun!!!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom