Harpers Ferry Armory and Arsenal Excavations

cigar_man

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Location
Ontari Ari Oh
Recent Excavations at Harpers Ferry,,,,,,,, from (2017)

If your interested in the U.S. Civil War, War of 1812, John Brown, early firearms manufacturing, you may be interested in this video by the National Park Service.

It gives some background into the arms making at the Harpers Ferry Arsenal and its history.

A little dry, but interesting to an enthusiast.


Harpers Ferry Armory and Arsenal

In 1794, congress approved a bill "for the erecting and repairing of Arsenals and Magazines." Springfield, MA, was chosen as the site for the first national armory. President George Washington, given wide discretionary powers in executing the legislation, then selected Harpers Ferry for a second national armory.
In 1796, the government purchased a 125-acre parcel of land bounded by the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers from the heirs or Robert Harper. Construction of the "United States Armory and Arsenal at Harpers Ferry" began in 1799. Three years later full-scale production of arms commenced. Muskets, rifles and, after 1805, pistols were all manufactured here. By 1810, annual production of arms averaged about 10,000.

But from the very beginning, the Harpers Ferry Armory labored under a deficiency of waterpower and charges of mismanagement. After more than four decades of piecemeal funding and outright neglect, plans for the site’s complete renovation were drawn up in 1844. Between 1845-1854, seven new workshops were erected, 121 new machines were installed, the Armory Canal was enlarged, and heavier millwork including the installation of new Boyden turbines was completed. The new buildings consisted of brick superstructures with cast-iron framing, sheet-iron or slated roofs, and large arched portals and windows, all erected upon heavy stone foundations.

This extensive reconstruction created a more integrated physical plant, whereby the flow of work from one stage of arms production to another was greatly facilitated. These buildings became known collectively as the "U.S. Musket Factory." Compared to 1802, when the Armory employed just 25 men, by 1859 the workforce had grown to about 400.

With the Civil War there came destruction. When Virginia passed an ordnance of secession on April 17, 1861, the Harpers Ferry Armory became an immediate target. Lt. Roger Jones of the U.S. Army defended the Armory on the evening of April 18, 1861, with 50 regulars and 15 volunteers. In nearby Charles Town several companies of Virginia militia – 360 men in all – assembled and advanced toward Harpers Ferry. Jones, outnumbered and unable to obtain reinforcements, set torches to the Armory and Arsenal buildings before retreating across the Potomac River.

Further destruction came with Confederate occupation of Harpers Ferry in the spring of 1861. Southern forces confiscated the Armory’s ordnance stock, machinery, and tools before burning many of the remaining Armory buildings. By war's end, only the Armory's fire engine and guard house – John Brown's Fort – remained intact. Today, the Armory Grounds are almost completely covered by railroad track embankments.

https://www.nps.gov/hafe/learn/historyculture/harpers-ferry-armory-and-arsenal.htm
 
Last edited:
Very interesting, I was there last summer touring around where many of the battles were fought, then we went to Gettysburg and spent a couple days there. Its amazing being right were it all happened, you could still see where bullets ricochet of the rocks. And the thousands among thousands of graves in the cemetery's is mind boggling. Ive been through there many times over the years, and always find stuff I missed previously.
 
Every year I attend the North South Skirmish Association Spring Nationals in Winchester, Virginia and always do a side trip to Harpers Ferry.

It is a very beautiful place to visit besides its historic significance.

I totally immerse myself when travelling the Civil War Battlefields.

If your into deep reading about Harpers Ferry,,,, (138 pages)

https://www.nps.gov/rap/archeology/pdfs/hafe_armoryhistoricresourcestudy.pdf
 
Last edited:
Fascinating stuff, Gentlemen, many thanks for posting. When I worked in DC a few years back, I went to the battlefield of Gettysburg - it was late July, just like it had been back then, and I walked the Pickett's charge route up to the Cemetery Ridge, and then over to Little Round Top, where the 20th Maine earned their everlasting glory. I sweated about a litre away, but had brought plenty of top-ups, and tried to get an impression of what it must have been like then.

Instead, I was almost overwhelmed with a deep melancholy that took a few days to leave me.

I recommend it to anybody who has not been there to go - and remember what you were like before you went, because as sure as ****, you'll feel different about a lot of things afterwards.
 
I can just imagine what it was like trying to run up that hill, while being fired upon from up top, I doubt too many made it to the top of that ridge.
 
"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed, it might be done."


John Brown was a true revolutionary. This example of armed resistance to slavery, white supremacy and the state stand as an example of true and courageous action.
 
Back
Top Bottom