Has anyone tried to shoot round patch/round ball in a fast twist T/C Pro Hunter?

dthunter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking of trying some basic round ball to shoot rabbits etc.
Has anyone tried this with a fast twist rate conical barrel?
Maybe 40-50 gr. Triple seven?

Accuracy around 1-2""ish at 50yds?

Let me know you gunnutz, I look forward to some experienced views.
 
I'm a total newb when it comes to inline muzzle loaders, but my Omega wouldn't shoot for #### with round ball.:( I scored a handful of the round balls off my buddy and was warned they might not do so great with a fast twist barrel. I was pushing 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, and my pattern was about a 6" group at 50 meters.

I do plan to try again with a much reduced charge though. Let us know how it turns out for you.
 
The old timers say that if you try to push a ball too fast in a fast twist rifle, the patched ball trips over the rifling instead of fallowing it. My friend's 60g load worked well, but when he tried more the groups opened up a lot. Round balls are all I use, but our rifles are rifled 1 in 48".
 
I tried the Hornady "Hardball sabots" with 2x Pyrodex pellets outta my NEF "Huntsman" and they seemed to shoot pretty decent & lethal if required to hunt with out to 75. Never with my TC Endevour though, These might work?
6950.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Sounds like you want the R-B's for close range targets and small game so load as you might do for a B-P R-B single shot pistol since they have faster twists than the rifles. Think in terms of 1/2 to one grain of powder per caliber. My 50 cal pistol is most accurate with 30 gr FFFg and the 45 with 23 - 25 gr FFFg, for example.
 
Thanks Ol'Flinter, but I want to be able to legally hunt with my reduced loads.
As far as I know, we cant hunt with any pistol in canada.

I know this country has retarded laws, but I do wish we could hunt with one!

If its accurate, I would like to shoot rabbits,etc. With black powder reduced loads from my in-line T/C.
 
I wasn't suggesting hunting with a pistol: just used that as an example of what loads can work well in fast-twist barrels. I was suggesting trying reduced loads as these seem to be most accurate in fast twist pistol barrels - about half the powder that would be expected to shoot accurately in a slower-twist rifle barrel of same caliber. That would still give your R-B plenty of punch for small game to about 50 yd with your fast-twist rifle. Try starting with 30 gr. and work upwards in 5 grain increments until accuracy is no longer acceptable.
 
I had an old original rifle which had a 28" barrel and a 1 in 28 twist , which shot best with 15 grains of FFFg, it sounded like a large fart when shot and the ball would take its time on the way to the target, but was deadly.
Cheers nessy.
 
I had my Omega out again today and remembered this thread. I dropped the powder charge down to 40 grains/by volume of Pyrodex RS with a round ball....and no luck again. They(5 shots) were all kinda centered on a 6" vertical line @ 50 meters. On the bright side, Hornady XTP's work very good. I hope you have better luck than me with round ball.
 
My wife hunts deer with prb over 80 grns 777. Her twist is 1-28" but her bore is really tight. If they don't shoot you probably need a different patch and lube combo. Round balls can be shot in anything, just need to experiment. Oh yeah she gets over 1900 fps so with roundball penetration it is a good killer. Shoots a double ball load with 80 grns 777 within .5" each other. It's a smasher with that load good for all comers.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom