has anyone turned their own brass?

pointandshoot

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Location
richmond, bc
hey guys, on the heals of my other post about finding some re-loadable 32rf brass...has anyone here turned their own brass on a lathe before out of brass stock...or attempted to, and if yes how did it work out? before i plop down 5 bucks a case from dixie i'm wondering if i should give it a shot on my mini lathe. another route i was thinking is finding some 32 colt brass and modding it. the only issues i've run into so far modding a 32 case is that there isn't much meat back there to play with while turning a pocket for the primer. i've found that the primer has to be seated pretty much flush in order to allow the cylinder to rotate in the revolver (makes sense), where as if i use brass stock i can machine the primer pocket first and go from there...idea's? thanks!
 
I know that Rocky Mountain Cartridges CNC machine their brass out of bar stock. I've purchased a couple batches from them. I notice that they anneal the top half of the case once it is finished to remove any work hardening or brittleness. The machined cases I have bought have worked just fine. I imagine it is important to do the annealing. I also notice that their cases do not have the capacity of the originals, so I suspect the walls are slightly thicker, at least further down. The wall thickness at the neck was about the same.
 
I have made velodog cases from solid stock, also pinfire cases and several calibers of rimfire cases. It can be quite difficult to get the blank shell close enough to the edge on the larger calibers. On 32 caliber, with many guns you can center a Hilti blank in the case and use a rim which is .010 thinner than normal so that the Hilti shell sits proud and so that the rim does not rob energy from the hammer. I think with mini lathes like a Unimat, it would probably be easier to buy some shells from Dixie Almost forgot, I use and end mill in the lathe to create a flat bottom to the cavity

cheers mooncoon
 
I just take .32 short colt brass drill it out to take a .27 cal hilti blank using brown blanks and a .311 round ball has word for me I found green too hot

I read this a few years back http://32rimfire.########.ca/
 
Back
Top Bottom