Have a problem

Rogue_wave

Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi all. I need to ask the experts here a question. I have a T/C triumph inline. Hunted all last week in the local muzzle loader season Went to the range today for some practice and fun. First shot down the barrel resulted in a muffled bang with no recoil and the powerbelt never even hit paper. This was on a clean barrel, with a swab run thru before loading. Second shot was normal with a loud bang, full recoil and the powerbelt hitting the bullseye. Third shot was the same. Cleaned the gun and the next shot was almost identical to the first. No recoil and muffled bang and lots of smoke. Any ideas? am I doing something wrong. To me it appears the bullets are not sealing in the barrel and I am getting blow by. Why now? Could it be the powerbelt plastic skirts are old and not sealing? Do they get old? Thanks in advance for your help
 
Sure sounds like a wet bore problem if it only happens after swabbing.
Are you running a dry patch or 2 after swabbing? Are you firing a cap or 2 before loading to blow clear the ignition path?
 
I'm pretty sure the bore was dry and clean. Breech plug was clean and I could see through it. Have never fired a cap or two before loading and firing. Is this a standard practice? is this done to season the barrel?? This is the only two times this has ever happened.
 
What powder are you using? I had a problem much like this when using Blackhorn. My guess is there isn't enough back pressure with the bullet you are using.

Yes, change powder possible bad lot if it's a substitute it may have deteriorated.
 
Using two pellets, so 100 grains of triple seven and Winchester 209 primers. What do you recommend over the powerbelts? Seemed to work fine after each failed shot, I'm guessing because the barrel was fouled? How long is pelletized powder good for??
 
I'm pretty sure the bore was dry and clean. Breech plug was clean and I could see through it. Have never fired a cap or two before loading and firing. Is this a standard practice? is this done to season the barrel?? This is the only two times this has ever happened.

I'm not sure how important it is with an inline using hotter primers but with traditional caplocks it's standard practice to fire off a cap or 2 after storage or cleaning to make certain that no debris, oil or moisture is blocking the channel. Doesn't really sound like this is your trouble though.
 
Storing your percussion cap rifles muzzle down, goes a long way to prevent oil or cleaning fluids accumulating in the cap channel and blocking it.
 
How old is your triple 7? T7 is water soluble and will absorb moisture from the air especially when it's humid out and over time tends to lose it's potency.
 
So as an update. I have new triple seven powder, new primers and new sabot type bullets. I have gone over my gun with a fine tooth comb. I have concluded that it was indeed my powerbelt bullets that were not sealing into barrel of my gun. The new sabots fit tighter, meaning harder to push into place , even on a clean barrel and shoot really well. I tried the powerbelts with the new powder and primers on a clean barrel and same type of misfire. Old powder and primers with new bullets on a clean barrel and shot flawless. Thanks again to all who replied.

Cheers

Brad
 
Back
Top Bottom