Have two rifles I need an appraisal for...

frichtie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Québec
Hi all,
I'm basically looking for a reliable appraiser for two rifles I own.
I'm in the Montreal area and was thinking of taking my rifles to Ottawa for appraisal by old guns.ca
However, before I do anything, I'd like to know if any of you has done business with them before. Or even better, maybe you can
suggest a better place? I'm in no hurry...(Rifles are two Winchester 1876 and 1886)
I don't wanna ask people to tell me numbers based on what they see on a picture, I want a reliable "certified" (?) appraiser.

-Eric
 
I have dealt with the owner of Old Guns.ca as he is local and find him to be a fair guy. I know he does specialize in old Winchesters and antique guns among others and seems to be a very reliable source for info and price value on them. I have got a couple of antique guns from him in the past.

Did he quote you a price to appraise their value?
 
Thank you mkrnel. My idea is to contact them and take an appointment sometime during the automn. I read that they charge a minimum of $100.00 for an appraisal. I think that's fair even if I have to drive to Ottawa.
 
Why not take them to the gun show in Montreal ? There are at least 4 reputable collectors/ dealers that would evaluate them for you ( book values out of the Winchester black book ) Serial numbers model numbers and conditions. They are more than happy to talk to you . And two are able to give you a written evaluation for insurance Purposes.
 
I'm afraid they will tell me what THEY are willing to PAY for the rifles...(Which aren't for sale) Not too sure about those guys. They're there to make money (and I don't blame 'em for that) but I want to know the retail value. Thanks for your advice anyway!
I'm thinking of visiting John C. Denner. He's not too far from here and would give me a written evaluation.
 
Advice from dealers at gun shows...yeah right.
Unless you have some prior relationship with them, they are gonna do the ' Buy Low ' BS.
Or shall they be honest and say it's true value...e.g. 800 $...when the same 800 $ rifle is resting in a rack 10' away with a 1200 $ price tag?
 
Exactly what I think...
Advice from dealers at gun shows...yeah right.
Unless you have some prior relationship with them, they are gonna do the ' Buy Low ' BS.
Or shall they be honest and say it's true value...e.g. 800 $...when the same 800 $ rifle is resting in a rack 10' away with a 1200 $ price tag?
 
Back
Top Bottom