Heffley Creek 2012

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I returned from Heffley Creek on Sunday night after spending 10 days there. I couldn't hit a bull in the bum at 10 feet but I did have a good time visiting with friends from all over BC and a couple of states. Total camps were somewhere around 130 with roughly 40 being in primitive. Weather was the best ever; for the most part neither too hot or too cold. I left Sunday morning in order to beat the rush for the ferry on Monday but the Heffley club was holding its own 2 day shoot on the Sunday and Monday
Lots of families and lots of kids there. There were competitions every morning and every afternoon with lots of shooting events plus primitive archery. Candy cannon for the kids followed by council fire every night to award the prizes

cheers mooncoon

Primitivefromcampb.jpg


Primitivefromridgeb.jpg


BullseyeShootb.jpg


Archeryb.jpg


Archery2b.jpg


Councilfireb.jpg


Candycannon.jpg


KidsPlayingb.jpg
 
Is there a place that list what kit is required?
Lived in Kamloops for a while and met some guys up at Hefley that were knife throwing, hatchet throwing and ringing a gong out at 200 yard with a 50 cal BP rifle.

Tell/show what you use Mooncoon.
 
Well that looks like it was a very good time. You fellows have all the fun! When the last my kids leave here and it's just the cook and me, then we can do more stuff like that.
 
Nice action pic of the candy cannon. :D

Thanks for sharing!

that one was taken by a shooter from Prince Rupert. In answer to a previous question; if I were to chose only one gun it would probably be a smoothbore (no rear sight and flintlock). They can be used in all of the muzzle loading rifle competitions except the squirrel shoot (40 caliber and lower) Most of the shoots are for rifle/ smoothbore but there are competitions through the week for shotguns, cartridge rifles and handguns. There is no separation of flintlock and percussion and flintlocks are usually in the winning circle. No inlines and no pyrodex only real black powder and roundball.

If you do a google search for BC Rendezvous you will find the home page and listed on there is the schedule of events for the current year. There are gallery photos for years prior to 2010 and hopefully soon we will be able to post photos to the gallery again. If you are on Facebook, do a search for bc rendezvous and you will find lots of photos there and in particular click on those posted by Sarah Ridgeway. I thought that she took some excellent ones

cheers mooncoon
 
I attended Heffley for the first time this year and had a really good time shooting and otherwise totally immersed in the BP stuff with other shooters and gun builders. I even met Mooncoon! Campsite is great and overall facilities more than adequate too.... took my tent. Departed Friday morning to attend the 40th anniversary rendezvous at Fort Whoop-up, Lethbridge on Saturday & Sunday - also a fun shoot. Barring hell freezing over, I will be back at Heffley next year and this time I will have my new squirrel gun and NW Trade Gun so I can play all the games - hate to watch other people having fun when I can't play too. See ya there...
 
Hey Moon and All, Heffley was a complete blast again this year!! My son cleaned up winning all sort of trophies and prizes and the Fireball Roberts overall trophy. I'm a very proud Papa. Moon you got myself my son and Turkeyneck in one of your pics you posted. Best 10 days of the year cant wait for next year!! See you all there!
 
Well that looks like it was a very good time. You fellows have all the fun! When the last my kids leave here and it's just the cook and me, then we can do more stuff like that.
You're missing out, it was my having my kids there that made it the most enjoyable.
That said I had a 3 day visit without a smoke pole with me in 2011 and it was still fantastic. Now if I just smarten up in 2013.
cariboo
 
Is there a place that list what kit is required?
Lived in Kamloops for a while and met some guys up at Hefley that were knife throwing, hatchet throwing and ringing a gong out at 200 yard with a 50 cal BP rifle.

Tell/show what you use Mooncoon.

Tell us more about the rifles, pistols? and gear required.
And good photos too, thanks...
 
Last edited:
Tell us more about the rifles, pistols? and gear required.

I think if you go back to post #10, that covers most of it. While I would take a smoothbore if I was taking only one gun, if I was a first time shooter, I would probably take a percussion Hawken because they are probably the least expensive and require the least learning. I believe the rendezvous tries to hold a muzzle loading rifle event at least every second day (minimum). There are usually one or two hawk and knife events over the week. The specialized guns like cartridge rifle and handgun and shotgun are usually only one event during the week, so that if you are starting out, you most want to bring a muzzle loading long gun.

In terms of camping, about 1/4 of people go primitive which means they must be in costume and their camp must be white or brown canvas with no plastic showing. You can keep water containers inside the tent out of sight and so forth but no bright poly ropes to hold the tent up. All non conforming camps go up in tin town. Primitive covers about 5 acres as you can see in the photos and tin town is a series of campsites amongst the trees as you enter the range plus a great pile of camps along the side of the entrance road. The shelter and the council fire area in the photos is the border between primitive and tin town

cheers mooncoon
 
the last couple of years there has been a Quigly shoot which was all off hand at a single target somewhere out between 400 and 600 yards. I am a bit foggy on how it is scored. Prior to that the competition was at silhouettes at 100 - 200 - 300 and 400 yards although the first two distances were pretty approximate. The first two ranges were off hand and the last two off cross sticks and all ranges shot with a spotter. Some of the events are in a bit of a flux right now because each event is put on by a different club and said club members have been getting older and stepping aside for new events and new individuals to run them. There are 20 shots on the cartridge shoot but there is a much larger 2 day shoot in May roughly with ranges to 500 yards and I think about 40 shots plus sighters

cheers mooncoon
 
As a first - timer in 2012, I had lots of questions just like Ruger. Basically, "Primitive" camping is as Mooncoon stated. Tin Town is everything else and you will see everything from primitive canvas tents up to Class A motorhomes and everything in between. Potable water is available free and there are even primitive but warm showers for $2 each. Lots of clean and serviced privies all around the campsites. Nearest groceries and ice are at Heffley Creek grocery store about 15 minutes drive down the mountain. No water or power at any campsites and there are time limits on when you can run a generator for the motorhome.
Bring double the amount of ball and powder you thought you would need and anything else you need can be purchased from the vendors on site. Already looking forward to going back in '13...
 
Back
Top Bottom