Heffley Creek

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
Sad news; just posted this morning that Heffley Creek Rendezvous will not take place this year as a result of the fire hazard.

For those who have not heard of Heffley, it is a ten day rendezvous which takes place each year for the week ending with Labour Day. Last few years there have been about 130 camps

cheers mooncoon
 
The SASS Championships at the KTSA range have also been cancelled for the same reasons. Been a bummer of a season for shooting events, but that's life.

God help the people affected so far and those still under threat. We just bought a skookum fire fighting water pump and have an unlimited water supply from the lake we live on.
Many of our neighbours have done the same as we are not counting on any support for individual homes and properties.

Just one spark, cigarette butt or one lightning strike and we could be the next area under evac order.
 
Sad to hear. I actually had the spare time to attended this year. Fire hazard being what it is I'm not surprised about the cancellation.
 
It is sad to hear but probably for the best. Now with some rain in the offing I wonder if it will now all get wet and no one will be there....have to back to WA or OR for a shoot I guess.
 
That's disappointing for a great many people but probably for the best all things considered.
I'm going to really try to get there next year.

An alternative for the Labour Day weekend is the Lethbridge Fort Whoop Up annual Rendezvous. Just on the south edge of the city.
Lots of camping and a meal or 2 included. Probably paper targets Saturday and fun events and trail walk Sunday.
 
I'm sure more than a few BC shooters on here remember the conflagration that was started in some dry material at an Alberta cowboy range a few years ago by a BP pellet. after being involved in that one I think the organizers made a sound decision.
 
I've never been part of the Heffley Rendezvous, but that does suck. Unfortunately it's insanely dry around here. I live right close to the range, and with how dry it is around here it's probably the right call. We went from the creek flooding and washing out the road this spring to tinder dry in just a few months.
Kristian
 
Heffley Creek's organizers made the right call, there is a complete campfire ban, wilderness travel bans, fires popping up all over the place ( currently about 140 active in the province with many out of control) , this isn't the time for sparks. Nearby at Ashcroft/Cache Creek we have already lost our rifle and pistol shooting facilities to wildfire and our property is a shambles of partly burnt forest and ash. We are still under threat of more fire action.Our Black powder rendezvous in November has been cancelled and we have no idea when ( or if) we will be able to resume normal activities.
 
The CAS event at Heffley has had to be interrupted more than a few times to extinquish small fires set alight by BP shooters. There isn't a range that is open in the interior of BC at this time that I'm aware of other than the Hartman range on Hwy 16.

The Quesnel range has been closed for a week now and will remain so until ..... ??? We have an indoor range on the property but even that will not be used. Smokers cannot be trusted to be responsible and we have no adequate firefighting equipment in the event of a wildfire. We are beyond the Bouchie Lake Volunteer FD range of operations by 2 kms or so.

In the past when we've had dry years, we cancelled the BP RV. I expect the future to entail many such closures.
 
Back
Top Bottom