I finally got around to loading some photos onto Photobucket so here they are from this year's rondy.
As usual I stayed in Primitive and the first shot is from just in front of my tent; normally you can see the hills about 5 or 10 miles away with hay fields clearly visible. For the first several days this year, smoke from forest fires totally obscured these hills. Visibility on Friday while coming into Kamloops was around 4 miles at a guess.
It is awkward to shoot and take photos so there are not too many of shooting events. Most events are strung out for several hundred yards across the range at metal gongs but these photos are of the Alberta shoot which was on paper targets.
The regular organizers of the cartridge rifle shoot were unable to attend this year and a sort of improvised Quigley match was run with all shooting offhand and 5 shots at each of 100, 200, and 300 yards. There were one or two who competed with muzzle loading rifles.
There is also a kid's shooting event with adults supervising the shooter's
For those unfortunate enough to dryball, there is the coveted dry ball bib with "powder patch ball" written on it upside down so the shooter can lift it up and read the instructions:>) The woman with the strange necklass is wearing another award; this one for protesting too much (as in getting a dry ball bib) and the paper labels say "a closed mouth gathers no feet" and the other "shut the **** up". Both are worn until the next victim is nominated and worth mentioning that the dry ball bib changes hands frequently.
There is a kid's candy cannon every evening with several handfulls of candies shot out for the kids.
First several days were blistering hot at mid day but then came two days with thunder and lightning plus a couple of hours each of torrential rain. Then the next couple of days were pleasantly cool with light rain except for I think Thursday when my flinter was drowned for the first time since I have been shooting flinters. After the rain quit, I took it back out on the range and shot a BBQ lighter into the flash hole for a couple of minutes then primed and pushed powder into the vent and fired. I had about a 4 - 5 second hangfire but it cleared the rifle and I was able to shoot the trail. The experience did inspire this last photo complete with me wearing a souwester and holding one of the ducks that was tossed out in honour of the subtly damp morning.
Goes without saying that I thoroughly enjoyed myself again this year.
Almost forgot; the flint lady was there again this year with lots of excellent flints. Worth adding that she and her husband are excellent camp neighbors and excellent shots and very pleasant to visit with each year.
cheers mooncoon
As usual I stayed in Primitive and the first shot is from just in front of my tent; normally you can see the hills about 5 or 10 miles away with hay fields clearly visible. For the first several days this year, smoke from forest fires totally obscured these hills. Visibility on Friday while coming into Kamloops was around 4 miles at a guess.
It is awkward to shoot and take photos so there are not too many of shooting events. Most events are strung out for several hundred yards across the range at metal gongs but these photos are of the Alberta shoot which was on paper targets.
The regular organizers of the cartridge rifle shoot were unable to attend this year and a sort of improvised Quigley match was run with all shooting offhand and 5 shots at each of 100, 200, and 300 yards. There were one or two who competed with muzzle loading rifles.
There is also a kid's shooting event with adults supervising the shooter's
For those unfortunate enough to dryball, there is the coveted dry ball bib with "powder patch ball" written on it upside down so the shooter can lift it up and read the instructions:>) The woman with the strange necklass is wearing another award; this one for protesting too much (as in getting a dry ball bib) and the paper labels say "a closed mouth gathers no feet" and the other "shut the **** up". Both are worn until the next victim is nominated and worth mentioning that the dry ball bib changes hands frequently.
There is a kid's candy cannon every evening with several handfulls of candies shot out for the kids.
First several days were blistering hot at mid day but then came two days with thunder and lightning plus a couple of hours each of torrential rain. Then the next couple of days were pleasantly cool with light rain except for I think Thursday when my flinter was drowned for the first time since I have been shooting flinters. After the rain quit, I took it back out on the range and shot a BBQ lighter into the flash hole for a couple of minutes then primed and pushed powder into the vent and fired. I had about a 4 - 5 second hangfire but it cleared the rifle and I was able to shoot the trail. The experience did inspire this last photo complete with me wearing a souwester and holding one of the ducks that was tossed out in honour of the subtly damp morning.
Goes without saying that I thoroughly enjoyed myself again this year.
Almost forgot; the flint lady was there again this year with lots of excellent flints. Worth adding that she and her husband are excellent camp neighbors and excellent shots and very pleasant to visit with each year.
cheers mooncoon


















































