Help choosing antique.

jes

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Location
saskatchewan
I have been thinking about purchasing an antique revolver for some time. I live in a remote area and like the idea of being able to legally carry a sidearm when checking fences, general strolls, etc. It would be used for plinking, maybe dispaching the odd skunk or troublesome racoon. I reload and have worked with some wildcats doing case forming. At this point, I am thinking that an 1892 Lebel 8mm would be my best bet, does anybody have any thoughts on that, suggestions? I would like to keep my budget under $1500. Pros and cons to the Lebel? P.S. I have not done any casting.
 
as far as not doing your own casting, jethunter on here DOES sell professional grade pre-lubed lead bullets for reasonable prices, if that impacts your caliber choice. As far as the 8mm lebel, I hear they're pretty anemic on power, akin to 32 acp. Those more familiar with the cartridge will no doubt correct me if I'm mistaken. If you only plan on dispatching skunk or raccoon however that should be up to the task. As far as the gun goes, the French 1892 is pretty bulletproof and priced right.
 
That's what appealed to me, it sounds like they are very durable. Power wise, it would be like having a reloadable 22lr. I'd like to hear other opinions though.
 
The 8mm isn't a bad choice - but an 11mm 1873 is a man-sized gun and has decent power when chambered for 45 acp or 455 - of course you will want to load your own. The gun will take some really decent loads - I load mine to around the power of a 22 mag shot out of a rifle - but have loaded quite a bit heavier. The French 1873 is my favorite antique by a long ways - for lots of reasons.
 
i went through something similar and the one i am keeping is a 1873 French mas , rechambered into 45 schofield .

it will also fire 455 webley .

these are very solid guns . assuming it has been taken care of .


btw jethunter sells very nicely made cast bullets
 
Just as good a shooter for about the same cost as a French 11mm Mle 1873 is a solid frame DA Webley RIC in .455 Webley, sometimes even cheaper and just as good are some of the better quality Belgian RIC clones in .455 Webley or .450 Adams!

I had one of each and while the Webley RIC was just as strong as the French 1873 it was smaller, lighter and shot just as well with a grip design that seemed to suit my hand better!

The solid frame Webley RIC's must have been a very good revolver as Webley had them in almost continuous production from the 1860's through to 1924 and the Belgian and Spanish gun trade among others copied and cloned them for many decades and sold many tens of thousands of them.

It is said that they were more common and carried in North America in the old west than were the Colt SAA, even General Custer carried one or two of them and they were among his personal guns carried during his last stand shoot out!

The Webley's have very few parts that go wrong and when they do it is not so hard to make up these replacement small parts, and barrel replacement is much easier than a French 1873 which would cost at least twice as much to do if you could even find somebody willing to do the job!
 
My Swiss 1882 pushes my 100 grain lead wadcutters about 900-1000 fps... plenty of punch. Very accurate, and built like a Swiss watch. They're hard to find, but once you find one, you won't want to part with it, guaranteed. Next on my "like" list are the Swedish Nagants. The Frenchie 1873's are also quite nice.
 
I agree a Webley RIC will be lighter than a french 1873 and likely shoot just as good if not better + there made in 455 the french guns are in 11 mm unless you can find and altered one but they cost more than most RICs.
I like the french 1873s but id grab a good 455 RIC over one.
The other guns mentioned are also good but some can be abit of a pain to reload for.
 
Last edited:
Well, at this point, I think I'm leaning towards the 1892 Lebel. I'm kind of thinking of a big reloadable 22lr. Every thing I can read says they are very well made. Other than power, are there any downsides to the 1892? Reform 32-20 brass, right? Cast bullets are available, or cast your own if need be. What is the accuracy potential in the average gun? What's the biggest downside to owning an 1892?
 
No downside that I can think of.
Built like a tank. Can be found with exellent fit and finish.
Swing out cylinder ahead of its time.
Easy to find loading components, dies etc.
Easy to buy in very good condition, out of the States. Low Canadian dollar will effect this.
I would not recomend them for brown/polar bear defence, but then, anything's better than nought.
 
I have been thinking about purchasing an antique revolver for some time. I live in a remote area and like the idea of being able to legally carry a sidearm when checking fences, general strolls, etc. It would be used for plinking, maybe dispaching the odd skunk or troublesome racoon. I reload and have worked with some wildcats doing case forming. At this point, I am thinking that an 1892 Lebel 8mm would be my best bet, does anybody have any thoughts on that, suggestions? I would like to keep my budget under $1500. Pros and cons to the Lebel? P.S. I have not done any casting.

for that $1500 you should be able to pick up all you need. Gun reloading dies and components. Contact jethunter for bullets and only trouble you may come across is finding powder as lately...i have
 
I have a couple of .450 RICs. These are good shooting revolvers.

Something to think about...
It was not the intent of the government to create a situation where antique handguns can be used the same way as any non-restricted firearm.
How long this will last, I don't know.
Can't see it surviving a change in government.
At present, the usability of these revolvers has driven their prices above their antique collector value.
Should things change, an original pistol is going to be more collectible and valuable than one which has been altered for ammunition convenience.
 
Looks wise, I like the Swedish nagant, but it seems a little intimidating to load for, sounds like a great gun though. Anyway, I think the 8mm Lebel is still calling. I like the idea of a smaller bore for my "plinker".
 
Swedish ir swiss service revolver is as fun as easy or easier to reload for than 8mm Lebel. I reload for both. The swede/swiss takes 309-314 bullet and the reloading components are cheaper. Use 30 carbine and 30 luger or 32 S&W dies to load. For 8mm ypu need expensive set. Still swing out cylinder on Lebel is great feature. The nagant style and swiss seem to be bit nicer to hold. I'm sure you would like either. There's no bad choice hee.
 
Here is some ammo for comparison. My work.
From the left
1.32-20
2. 8mm fiocchi
3. 8mm home made from 32-20
4. 7.5 swiss/swede made from 32-20 final design
5. 7.5 swede original vintage
6. 7.5 prototype
7. 32 S&W long



7.5 with wad cutter bullet I made before.


I made a lot of this 7.5 in the past. Here just some of it I took a photo of all gone now.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom