Help fellow gunnutz! Old rifle ID

JohnnyMac

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
184   0   0
So a friend came to me and asked for help identifying a rifle. The friend is an owner of a shop in Edmonton that has been around since the 60's (a few different locations over the years) and had this rifle hanging in the shop right off the get go. It is now in his home and he doesn't really know anything about it. Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.


IMG_43445.JPG


IMG_43452.JPG


IMG_43471.JPG



Thanks !!
 
A martini sporting rifle that has seen better days.The action itself would have value as a basis for a nice rifle.

Supposed to look something like this

ulle2sezz.jpg


xsfxmhcbj.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the fast replies I really appreciate it. I will pass this on I'm sure the information will be appreciated. Right now I don't have access to the rifle for follow up questions so I'm not sure if it is a takedown model. As for caliber it was small, I'm thinking it's a 303.
 
There were several companies that made small bore rifles (.22 I think, or maybe a larger rimfire?), made using a martini style action, this was one of them, you can tell by the hump that curls over on the back of the receiver. For some reason I have the impression they were mostly used for youth shooting clubs. Anyway, if you google you will find some info. this one was obviously modified, stock replaced with wire and the engraving is probably not original.
 
quick search found this:
w ww.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_small-bore_target_rifles.html

see the section SMALL-FRAME MARTINI ACTION RIFLES
 
Kinda hard to make out the actual size from those pictures, but it looks more like it was once a pretty nice rifle.

There is a strong possibility that it started life as a Rook Rifle, rooks being akin to our crows or magpies, here in North America, considered a pest and generally, shot at as a form of recreation, by the landowners, to the extent that there was a whole class of rifles collectively known as Rook Rifles. They fit roughly into about the same usage as we think of grabbing a 22 for.

In any case, to determine the caliber, a chamber casting, or at least a better look over at markings will be required. There were rather a lot of rook cartridges in both rimfire and center fire, and varying calibers, but .310 was fairly common.

The wire stock, was added some time after it was made, whether to use as a poachers gun, easily hidden (the 'fun' story), or simply as a bodge to get some more use out of a broken stock gun cheaply (more likely, but not as 'fun').

Someone once mounted at least one, maybe two different side mount scope bases on the barrel.
Not very sympathetically either.

It needs a good looking over for any other markings. Typically, if it was British made, there would be Proof House stamps at various points (do a search for "Proof Marks").
If you find a small oval or a Crown and the Letters ELG,, either alone or surrounded by a oval, it is a Belgian Proof Mark.

Anyways, it claims by the engraving to be made to Martini's Patent. Other markings will tell the rest.

I doubt it started as a Martini Henry, more like it was made to be what it was before several unsympathetic hands made it a lot rougher.

Cheers
Trev
 
As trevj has posted this rifle certainly appears to have had a pretty good start out of the blocks, even with the wire stock and unsightly drill and tap work it still shows a fair bit of class in my opinion. It would be interesting to know all the history behind this one. I kinda like it.
 
if its in the .30 cal range maybe 300 rook would be a guess as to caliber well worth putting a new but stock on in my opinion
 
1st time I've ever seen someone try to make a survival rifle out of a Martini–Henry?...

Maybe for a Tiger Moth crew?.. LOL!
 
Back
Top Bottom