Help identify these revolvers please * lots more pics added

zelly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
339   0   0
Location
Victoria,BC
A friend took these pics and sent them to me. Hope they are good enough to identify what they are. Also are they restricted or are they antiques? Any other info is great. Thanks.
E44E078C-39AA-4217-9888-F23AF2DBD01F-5380-0000015B3725DD93_zpsbd3c084f.jpg

7600D3DD-6E17-4709-A3A5-A13566EEFC62-5380-0000015B3C442F83_zps067cfa9f.jpg

482FDB05-760B-4804-89B1-5B7555662263-5380-0000015B4343BD4D_zps6901af5e.jpg

4A389162-8724-4140-8F45-C85E27956D5F-5380-0000015B78965FCB_zpsa1590131.jpg

Soldiers name ingraved?
DBC1E0FB-FB8D-4894-8ED4-557427FD5E60-5380-0000015B466AE274_zps8b9627f2.jpg
 
Last edited:
If they are real and not reworked modern replicas, they are both antique and while they must be stored as restricted guns, they do not need to be registered nor do you need a license to possess them. I will leave it to others more knowledgeable to tell you how to establish if they are authentic or not. If authentic, the Remington is a particularly choice gun with the CSA stamped on it

cheers mooncoon
 
The little Colt is likely an antique.
The brass framed Remington clone - I'm not so sure.
Confederate revolvers are rare and valuable.
Fakes abound.
I would want to be very sure that the revolver was not assembled from a kit, worked over to make it appear to be something that it is not.
Look how nice and crisp the nipples are.
Check some screw threads and see if they are metric.
If it is a worked over repro, it is a restricted firearm.
 
I agree with Tiriaq if you look at the cylinder slots they to look new and the fact the name on the base is LEE as in Robert E Lee id be checking that gun out :)
I think it could be a repo made to look old.
 
Yah I think considering it says something.something.lee on the bottom is a goo indicator it's a replica. I will have to take a look in person or take them in to get checked
 
Apart from a natural caution of potential forgeries, the Spiller and Burr in Flaydermann (which looks something like a Remington) was stamped C S rather than CSA. On the other hand with I would presume lots of captured arms, it is not unreasonable that some might have been stamped CSA. Like has already been said, be cautious and check for details in establishing their authenticity

cheers mooncoon
 
If someone went to that length to age the Remington, I would check the Colt over closely as well. The worn corners on the Rem. grips are done well. And still no wear on the hammer or cylinder. I see Pietta makes a Rem. 58 Texas model, brass frame. Looks like a gun ready for the rapid wear program.
The barrel address on the Colt looks OK tho.
 
Last edited:
I went and saw it in person. Too be honest I know nothing of these older guns. It looked good to me. More pics taken also the name on the grip is captain k.h.lee
E07EDC37-3840-469B-BF77-AA3D3E678739-9089-0000025C0E520920_zps551301fa.jpg

83890F7C-7FF5-4806-8A66-2FC204526850-9089-0000025C1331A9A7_zps2ee4ff46.jpg

207DB8DB-79A4-4CF1-96DD-82E994D95282-9089-0000025C17E06A6B_zps8dd1eb52.jpg

C15272CC-461E-452F-AB98-454C8317C471-9089-0000025C1C4EC610_zps274b6551.jpg

6CA63E83-3D7C-4E77-8B20-FAE72E8DE53A-9089-0000025C20938758_zpsc0baa0b5.jpg

DF3737F7-4224-433D-949E-F72DDCC05E45-9089-0000025C252DA38B_zps968009eb.jpg

FECC2C36-4C78-4759-93C3-C9CE418DA8E6-9089-0000025C29F36B37_zps296d336e.jpg

AAF22304-064E-4F01-BEDA-AB5AAC423E8E-9089-0000025C2E363888_zps45439046.jpg

5A1A6AC1-29CE-40E4-A4FF-E274C40941F8-9089-0000025C382DB131_zps76fe2fa4.jpg

731DFA16-5CDE-4B39-8709-8F00328C0651-9089-0000025C3FBE7E5A_zps7407ce67.jpg

81669852-65E6-4E56-A288-06E8228DCEDC-9089-0000025C44E72537_zpsbd88cc7c.jpg
 
Revolver is worn and scruffy - except inside the chambers, and the nipples are crisp. Look how sharp and free from wear the cylinder ratchet is.
 
All of the above - plus, look at the forcing cone. It's bright and shiny. Don't buy any waterfront real estate from the seller .....

This gun looks like it came from the "There's one born every minute ...." school of antique revolvers. I own and shoot four Remington repro .44's and think I know a little about them, originals included.

Revolver is worn and scruffy - except inside the chambers, and the nipples are crisp. Look how sharp and free from wear the cylinder ratchet is.
 
I think the cylinder is shiney like that becuase of the flash. But I would not even know where to take it to find out for sure. I don't think anyone at epps(closest store) would know.
 
Zelly what your friend found is probably an aged reproduction I know my friends mom and dad had a few boxed displays like that on their walls when we were growing up (though theirs were non firing replicas ) Your friend can email remington/colt with all the numbers and marks on it and find out who the original purchasers were and some info by serial number if they are authentic. I am guessing but the brass framed one is probably an italian reproduction which has been aged, I think Uberti , Pietta and Euroarms all made brass framed reproductions.

Cheers Mil Specs
 
Back
Top Bottom