Help identifying old 22lr

Shep546

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey guys,

My buddy found this in his fathers attic. I was wondering if anybody could tell me roughly when it was made and a rough value?

rEGdMYC.jpg


G9pPMAs.jpg


4YAvw2n.jpg


VKfVsZw.jpg


rzOburf.jpg



Thanks in advance.
 
Value? - Clean the bore well and inspect... The better the bore, the higher the value.

Value? What does that mean? The price you can sell it for quickly, the higher price you may get eventually, the price you would want to pay if you are buying it to sell for a profit, the price you would put on it for insurance if it was stolen(usually too high)?
 
If the bore is in decent shape and you and your buddy take it out to shoot it use standard velocity or subsonic ammo if you use any Long Rifle ammo.

The more modern HV stuff has too much of a snap to the recoil for a lot of these older rimfire rifles and the metal won't stand up to much of that sort of use without something letting go sooner or later. Standard Velocity stuff is more in line with the power of the old ammo that was around when this was made.

For time spent in an attic it doesn't look too bad at all.
 
A lightning. Nice score!

Actually the Lightning was made by Colt and this one is a Winchester. Also a comment relative to another post, in local gunshows they are priced between $300 and $600 depending on condition and how much the person wants to sell the gun. To bring $1000, the gun would have to be near factory original IMHO. I also don't think the gun is any more unsafe to shoot with HV ammo than with regular velocity. You will get the best accuracy with bullets that match the chamber in length in order to minimize the jump before the slug reaches the rifling. What may be a problem is if a lot of 22 shorts were shot in a long rifle chamber, because that can create erosion in front of the cartridge and when shot with long rifle shells, they will stick in the chamber

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
I have a couple of 1890's. Mooncoon has laid it out really well, however, those rifles were ammunition specific. They were available in 22 short, 22 long rifle, (possibly) 22 long, and also 22WRF. when I say ammo specific, I mean that if it is chambered for 22 long rifle, 22 shorts will not cycle through the action reliably. If it is chambered for 22 short, long rifle will not work. 22WRF is totally different again being basically a shortened 22WMR and not easy to find these days. I found this out because one of mine is actually a 22lr but, at sometime somebody installed a 22short barrel, shorts wont feed through the gun but lr feeds and fires just fine. Value really depends on bore condition as much as anything else. If it is a LR and the bore is decent, I would guess it at 3-500.
 
A fellow club member here in yUK has an original 'gallery rifle' version marked on the barrel as 'Suitable ONLY for .22 Short'. Here in yUK they were the mainstay of the fairground gallery ranges I remember as a child, shooting frangible ammunition that used to spatter like heck. I got three free 'goes' one day after catching some spatter in my hand - 'don't tell your ma!', hissed the huckster...

Happy days?

You betcha.

The present day rifle shoots just as fine as you'd expect a 100 y/o+ slim-barrelled lightweight sporting gun with a gazillion shots up the tube to do. Around two inches ten-shot groups at 50m. With that lovely click-clack reloading sound...

tac
 
My suggestion for SV or softer loads is based on recommendations for the same on a couple of other brand 100 year old pump and single shot rifles I have. Apparently a few such guns have been broken from steadily using modern HV ammo. To me it's not worth the risk. As always YMMV.
 
A fellow club member here in yUK has an original 'gallery rifle' version marked on the barrel as 'Suitable ONLY for .22 Short'. Here in yUK they were the mainstay of the fairground gallery ranges I remember as a child, shooting frangible ammunition that used to spatter like heck. e to do.
tac

The time to shoot is when your grandfather takes you to the circus along with your 7 or 8 year old sister and when there are very few people around the booths. I shot and we won a humungous stuffed monkey, large enough for all around to see. I am sure the choice of prize was to attract attention and customers

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom