Help Identifying Pre war Mauser Obendorf .22

upnorththodd

New member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hi All
I am new to this web site, so if I have posted this in the wrong area I apologize. I have what I think is a prewar commercial sporting model Mauser 22 made in the obendorf factory serial # 23534. It is in very good condition. I am wondering if anyone would be able to help me with the year, model #, and possibly a value. I have recently inherrited a swath of old firearms (which are for sale), but I can't put my fingure on the detail of this on.
4599696213_a13b27fbea_m.jpg

4600315194_f51b294f77_m.jpg

4600315096_5b22ba0d01_m.jpg

4600315430_4687e668cc_m.jpg

4599696405_2038f35248_m.jpg

4600315658_e7d0f82e4c_m.jpg

4599697439_808cd71713_m.jpg
 
I had one, once upon a time, stocked up like a K98k and stamped DEUTSCHE SPORTMODELL, but the bolt, I think, was different than yours.

Military-style shooting was popular in Germany and became compulsory in the Hitler-Jugend but also was used a lot during the Weimar Republic years by the mailitary because there was no limit on the amount of .22 shells the German Army could buy.... but they were limited to 60 rounds per man per year of 7.92x57, which really put a crimp in the MG training. Solution was to have the men shoot every SECOND year on a shortened qualification course with the fullbores, which left an average of 45 rounds per man per year available for training on machine-guns. The men could keep their skills up with the .22s. I think this could be the genesis of that military-style rear sight on yours, but can't say for sure.

I DO know that my old Mauser was a DSM..... and that there was another called a KKW. That MAY be what you have, but I can't say for sure.

Good luck in your search.
 
I saw some of the Israeli K98k lookalikes: they WERE K98ks which had been converted. Chilenos I am not familiar with.

Have also seen a marking for a KLEIN KALIBER WEHRSPORTGEWEHR, another .22 milspec lookalike.... actually a military rifle, when it comes down to it. Alan Lever had a whole rack of these about 1966: $27.50, take your pick. I shot the DM course with one at the Marpole-Richmond Sportsmen's Association range, never did get my pins. Come to think of it, I've shot that course 3 times and didn't get my pins, ever! (Evidence of a Plot? Only the seriously-deranged will ever know!) But it was lotsa fun, having the worst sights in the place and still scoring well; they were accurate.

They made some with 5-round mags but most were single-shot. What is this one?

Still scratching my head: strike oil sooner or later!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom