Help me out !

Jetman

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
MB
Truthfully I know nothing about black powder. Recently fired a cva derringer pistol and thought it was awesome. Although it is restricted even though you could barely hit a barn with it.
What are my options for a non restricted rifle , small as possible and still fun to shoot like the derringer. I would just be using it as something fun to own , possibly a replica ?
 
Jetman, my suggestion is to just simply jump right into a proper rifle length cap or flint lock rifle and be done with it. And more likely than not there's at least one group in your area that is into black powder shooting and has monthly shoots. We smoke maker DO like some company when sooting up the range after all :d

If you're game for a little steeper uphill learning curve I'd say dive headlong into a proper flint lock. There's a few more things to worry about in terms of setting up the flint to get a good shower of sparks into the pan and they don't like seriously wet weather. But the radical shift from smokeless to having a big POOF of flame and smoke just inches from your nose really underscores the difference from now to "then".

I've got ONE caplock rifle for seriously wet days. It's a very nice under hammer style cap lock which I really like because it's so different. But my preference, weather permitting, is by far for my other two rock locks just for the taste of the older olden days. Hell, I'm seriously considering a MATCHLOCK just for the experience.... and perhaps in compensation for my buying a new fangled cap lock.... :d
 
There's a lot of non restricted rifles as replicas in black powder. They're can be inexpensive. Best is a .45 or 50 cal as the components are easy to get and cheap. These rifles will surprise you with accuracy. Let me know if you decide on one. I may have few for sale and can give you some basic info to start.
 
finding somewhere to fire it can be another matter- the range I belong 2 prohibited it b/c of the smoke and having to clean the air system
 
To the OP. If you want to shoot a pistol you can always pick up an antique one. Say a belgian boot pistol. Can shoot that anywhere and no license necessary to own. They can be found at reasonable cost.

Here is one English and one belgian I have. 45 and 36 cal

 
You can find boot pistols at gunshows usually priced for all that the traffic will bear. I think you would be better off buying a percussion rifle to start with; something around 50 or 54 caliber. Many of the Hawken style rifles are made with the same dimension barrel which means the smaller caliber ones are heavier than the larger caliber. I would also avoid spanish guns with a drum to screw the nipple into; their design means they usually plug up fairly quickly.. I have a 32 cal rifle and they are a pain in the bum to clean because the ramrod has to be so small

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom