Help me pick a revolver

Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Fredericton
I want to get an antique revolver. I want something more modern from the later part of the 1800's. I want double action and center fire.

I have reloaded for 20 years and do wish to use smokeless powder with the obvious precautions. I would prefer to use a cartridge that is easy to reload but not opposed to trying something more challenging like 41 LC. I am prepared to go through the work of working brass from other calibers. Not a fan of casting my own projectiles as I had bad lead levels in the past.

This gun would be a shooter. I have plenty of handguns but want that unique experience that an antique handgun offers. 1. It can be of a barrel length or caliber that would otherwise make an handgun 12(6) 12(7). 2. Heck just having a handgun that I can shoot at the camp is down right going to put a smile on my face. The most use it would get in an outing would be less than 50rds but It would be used.

I am not hung up on historical artifact stuff regarding this gun. I would be fine with refinished, reworked, modified, shaved cylinder, etc. In short it would be a shooter and not a collector. As such I would probably like something that is not weak and fall apart on me all the time.

Some guns I am considering and my thoughts on them.

1. Colt 1892 DA in 41 LC. A friend has one and I like it a lot. Ammo is a little bit of a PITA to reload for and get accuracy and the gun can have weak lock work I hear. My wife and I like it a lot. Despite the reputation the gun has for weak lock work my friend has no issues with his. I favor this a lot but await your opinions on this.

2. Webley MK1, MK2. In shaved form that would be easy as I have a 45acp spiting out brass. Problem is my wife who is an avid shooter cant operate the release. So this will likely not happen.

3. Webley RIC, MP, Bulldog. These look nice. Calibers can be easy to load for or change them from say 450 Adams or 455 to 45 ACP/45 auto rim. I hear the use of them in DA is hard on the guns.

4. S&W 44 DA. Easy to load for. Ugly on IMHO. Good rep as a shooter.

Feel free to chime in on the subject at hand. I welcome all your thoughts. Keep in mind it will be an occasional shooter that could see a couple hundred rounds a year down range.

Thanks folks.
Cheers.
Moe
 
You got a tall list of requirements...but if it is just a plinker your after then any of the ones you mentioned should do fine. If you want anything with decent accuracy and more than anemic gusto behind the bullet my favorite are single action antiques such as single action Colts and Remington 1875. IMHO a very accurate and stout double action is a WG Webley. Obviously your going to have to up your budget for a decent example.
 
Last edited:
I would pick the 1892 which is the cheaper choice but you'd have to get someone to cast bullets for it.
I'd avoid converted modern cals as I suspect they'll end up restricted at some point.
The S&W is mid way between the 1892 and saa/remingtons price wise but are easier to load for.
The 44 Russian is more potent than the 41 also
You might consider the single action S&W for a little more money.
The 450 is fairly gutless
Saa colts and remingtons are really expensive (see my ad)
 
X 2 on the 1892. They are finicky little things on timing, you can tell me that your's 'locks up like a bank vault'. You are likely a careful and competent individual then, and good on you.
I think they are nice little pistols but suffer the hands of fools...poorly?
41 LC? Great snap out of this pistol. They are smaller than they seem, a medium frame by today's standards. Funny because the picture always seems the same as a Colt New Service, a veritable bohemiath compared to a 92.
I run an HB PL 195 grain over 4.5 grains of Unique... you know you shot something with this load. Still comes in high though, weird recoil from slower loads brings them in high for me.
 
Hey Moe, I am a big fan of the S&W 44 DA's they are the simplest of the DA's to work on and 44 Russian is so easy to reload, I have an awesome recipe. I have owned approx. 35-40 of them and have amassed a great spare parts inventory too. To bad you consider them ugly LOL That's how I feel about the Webleys Lately I have picked up a SAA in 41 Long colt and a Double Action 41 Long colt and my advice is avoid the colt DA as it is way to complicated and finnicky to enjoy. The SAA is a great gun but very expensive by comparison to the other antiques and it is a single action gun, not sure who told you 41 Long Colt was hard to reload as it is as simple as the 44 Russian and I have a great recipe for it as well in my SAA. I don't think my favorite pair are ugly LOL

IMG_2508.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2508.jpg
    IMG_2508.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 294
Hey Moe, I am a big fan of the S&W 44 DA's they are the simplest of the DA's to work on and 44 Russian is so easy to reload, I have an awesome recipe. I have owned approx. 35-40 of them and have amassed a great spare parts inventory too. To bad you consider them ugly LOL That's how I feel about the Webleys Lately I have picked up a SAA in 41 Long colt and a Double Action 41 Long colt and my advice is avoid the colt DA as it is way to complicated and finnicky to enjoy. The SAA is a great gun but very expensive by comparison to the other antiques and it is a single action gun, not sure who told you 41 Long Colt was hard to reload as it is as simple as the 44 Russian and I have a great recipe for it as well in my SAA. I don't think my favorite pair are ugly LOL

View attachment 191583

Good lord those are purdy! Those must be the holy grail of antique revolvers.
 
You can always try the italian Bodeo im 10.4mm and use .44 russian in it!

The officer model is without the folding trigger , it is double action and smooth action!

Or try the swedish or swiss revolver in 7.5 mm, anemic but beautiful revolver.

The 8mm ordonnance french model 1892 is a good looking affordable antique with ammo available
 
Back
Top Bottom