Help. Need old newsletter

mauser

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago a kindly gent from Alberta sent me 'stats of pages from Volume 5, No. 2 of "The Canadian Journal of Arms Collecting." It contains the exact ammo info I need regarding CIL, Dominion, Hamilton Powder, etc.

It was greatly appreciated, but it is pretty chopped up and I'd like to find a complete copy I could buy outright or pay to have an actual-sized scan of each set of pages made.

I tried to find a website for this newsletter but failed. I imagine it's probably no longer in existence.

Anyone got a copy of that particular issue you're willing to part with? Or, one you can email me a full scan of it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ mauser
 
Vol. 5, No. 2 Ca. Journal of Arms Collecting

Mauser: Can you tell me what the date ( year ) of the above would be before I start digging thru the 1 1/2' high stack of them in my less than warm garage? What I have I picked up late last summer - approx. late '60's/ early '70's onwards - haven't made it thru the whole stack yet. Kayceel
 
kayceel I've searched all over these copies trying to find a date. There's a notice in a small ad that say it's published on the 15th of Feb., May, Aug., and Nov., BUT NO YEAR! I wasn't aware it was only a quarterly. I figured it was a monthly.

Just noticed there's a Flayderman ad which states, "...until you see our 1967 BOOK CATALOG..." So, I assume this one is a mid-60s.

Just found a TINY note at the bottom of another page which says this one is, "Vol. 5 No. 2 (May 1967)..." HOORAY!

IF you've got a copy I'd happily purchase it. And, if you're going to eventually sell all those you've got, tell me what you'd take for the whole lot. I'm STILL looking for info on the little Tobin .22rf single-shot rifle, made in Woodstock, Ontario by world renowned scattergun makers Tobin Arms Mfg. Co.. None of their vintage catalogs even mention it, only their high-end shotguns!

Another CGN member sold me a 1917 copy of "The Rod and Gun in Canada" a few years back which had an ad for the rifle calling it the "$5 Boy Scout Rifle" given to kids for selling 5 annual subscriptions to the magazine, which coincidentlly was also HQd in Woodstock...

Thanks for the come-back. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ mauser
 
Last edited:
1967 Vol. 5, No. 2

I 'll go digging thru the stack tomorrow PM - temperature is supposed to hit a HIGH of +4C:D. Hope it warms up soon so the gophers start to come out:) Will post tomorrow evening with what I find - not planning on selling them as they were purchased as reference material. Kayceel
 
Much appreciated, kayceel. Also, when you start perusing ALL your stash at some future time, please try to remember to look for name TOBIN. Here's the gun I obtained.

TOBINLEFTSIDEFULL.jpg


And here's the 1917 ad offering it.

1TOBINADINRODANDGUNSEPT1917.jpg


WOW! That temp sounds rugged. We're finally up in the mid-70s and folks are able to hit the beaches again.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ mauser
 
Vol.5, No. 2 - CJAC

Found it! Having the 1967 date helped immensely. I'm in the last stages of a "redecoration" of our computer room so the scanner won't be back in operation until after Easter ( going to the Calgary gunshow:dancingbanana:) Looking at this issue it appears that you will want the whole of the CIL / Ammo in Canada story. I will look for the Tobin info at a later date.
The collection I was fortunate enough to acquire begins with Vol. 1, No. 1 in 1963 and appears to be continuous thru Vol. 20, No. 1 in early 1982. There were also 3 or 4 Flayderman's of that vintage and some hardcovers and a 1952 Stoegers:D.
I should probably also scan and send the annual contents lists for you to have a look at for other articles of interest.

Kayceel
 
Here's a tip for you, kayceel: once your scanner is back up and running, scan EVERY issue, from front to back, and STORE all that ireplaceable, historical info on an 8-GB flash drive (CHEAP INSURANCE).

Yep, if you've got an index of everything so I could check it over that too would be wonderful for me. I only collect US and Canadian-made .22rf single-shot firearms, AND similar ammo boxes. That's why I need the Dominion through iVi trademark info. Because that article was pre-iVi it only goes up to the CIL, and THOSE are the really important ones!

If you've got 'em ALL from Vol. 1 No. 1 you could certainly furnish a great service to every gun/ammo collector in EVERY country!!! Wow! That's a real Treasure Trove!

Remember to look for Tobin rifles while you're at the show, and old copies of that magazine: The Rod and Gun in Canada. ENJOY THE SHOW! ;)

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ mauser
 
Back
Top Bottom