Help needed 1894 winchester dated 1904 having some trouble ,

Shane111

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
When I originally bought the gun it worked great action was smooth no problems mechanically just filthy old gummed up oil and dirt everywhere so I wanted to take it apart and clean all the parts up, so off to my grandfathers we went, him having much experience in Winchester and henry rifles , we had it apart in minutes , cleaned it for acouple hours and left it for the night the next morning we're reassembling it , all went well.... until this...

20140604_154327_zps7c012dba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140604_154514_zps2e28487f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Without the screw everything works fine action works spoon is the last thing to pop up as it should be , but when we attempted to place the last screw in (which was in place when I bought the gun) we get this:

20140604_154720_zps24488d2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140604_155715_zps07a9dddc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Screw only needs to go this far in before causing trouble, sending the spoon up as soon as the bolt carrier is open blocking it from going into half or full caulk if screwed in all the way same results

20140604_155832_zpsc5d2866f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Has anyone had this issue or know how to solve it? I don't want to leave the screw out I want it to stay original

(will still go in half/full caulk when hammer manually placed there)
 
Last edited:
I think what you need to do is get a small screwdriver or pin and move the carrier ( spoon; I've always called it the lifter) until the two holes line up before you try putting the screw back in. It just needs a bit of fiddling.
 
that's what I did to place the screw to take the bottom two pictures, pushed the spoon (lifter) up abit until it aligned with the screw hole placed the screw tightened it still locks up, and if I tighten it past the point in the picture I can feel the lever twist and shift in my hand not sure if that's normal or not
 
Last edited:
Just some fiddling around required is all. More proof that you don't need to tear guns apart to clean them properly. A few blasts with a good aerosol cleaner and a relube usually suffice.
 
Back
Top Bottom