Help on gun value

bigdyno

CGN Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I am totally uneducated on anything blackpowder and would like to know the value of a gun I have been offered. It's a Knight MK-85 model K 853. It is .54 with a stainless 20" barrel. It has the same straight stock as the current hunter in the green laminate. The gun is NIB, never fired but has been (properly) stored for a number of years.

I have no idea what this thing is worth and don't know what it costs to shoot. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
I'm not interested in flipping it, I have some interest in BP but I don't know what kind of money I should expect to pay for the gun or ammo. The whole idea of slow and steady has it's place sometimes.
 
The rifle that you are looking at is a modern inline which is different than the older designs which seem to be more common in black powder shooting.
The inline gets its name from the design which has the primer inline with the bore, older designs have a side lock either cap or flint or in rare cases match.
Generally the inlines have fast twist rifling which means they require an under size bullet and a sabot and most use a black powder substitute like Pyrodex or Triple Seven.
They are not the cheapest muzzle loaders to shoot but can be very effective hunting rifles.
Can't help you with what it is worth as they are kind of a niche market item.
 
.54 is not popular for inline rifles, and in Sask market, which is very interested in ML hunting rifles, the very short barrel would not be so popular either.
I would give you a WAG value of $250 in as new condition that you describe.
Hornady has discontinued .54 Great Plains and Sabot bullet options, as have a number of other makers. Haunting the gun shows would be required to lay in a lifetime stock of supplies.
You would have an effective rifle for just about any North American game.
 
With the bullets, primers, powder pyrodex or 777, cleaning supplies, and necessary tools would likely run you $125 or better, just to fire the first shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom